In Weakness, Strength

79. In Weakness, Strength

Now there is a final reason I think that Jesus says, "Love your enemies." It is this: that love has within it a redemptive power. And there is a power there that eventually transforms individuals.

-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Later, Bakugo wandered down to the workshop. He'd already checked Izuku's office, but he'd been told Izuku was taking some time to rest. Which meant he was working with Mei.

He found Izuku crouched over a workbench with a pair of goggles on, his tongue sticking out of his mouth as he carefully worked on some delicate electronics. Bakugo almost turned away, not wanting to bother Izuku. But no. He needed to do this.

"Hey, got a minute?" Bakugo asked, stepping up.

"Huh? Oh! Katsuki, yeah, just a sec." Izuku set his soldering iron down, turning around in his seat and raising his goggles. "Yeah, what's up? You need us to make something for you?"

"I can make new sweat tanks!" Mei said, popping up from behind a half finished copy of that smaller robot suit.

"Dammit Mei, get back down here!" Hari called from underneath it. "Finish this now and get distracted later!"

Mei disappeared, and Izuku smiled faintly, then shook himself. "Sorry, what was it you needed?"

Bakugo ground his teeth for a minute, then forced his jaw to loosen. Like Shiozaki had said. Forgiveness. "I was...wrong, Izuku."

"Wrong? About what? Is Muscular-"

"Not about that you idiot!" Bakugo snapped. He let out a deep breath. "No, I mean...when we were growing up. In junior high. I...I told you to kill yourself. I was wrong. Can...can you forgive me?" Tears started running down Bakugo's face, but he didn't look away, didn't back down. God, he was going to-

Izuku stood slowly, setting down his tools. Bakugo braced himself as Izuku walked up. Was he gonna punch him? He would let it happen. Shit, he'd been such an ass. He deserved whatever Izuku was going to do to him.

Which was why it surprised him when Izuku started crying, and then embraced Bakugo.

"Yes. I...I forgive you, Kaachan. Sorry, I know you don't like to be called that. I just...thank you. When you told me that...it hurt, a lot. I know you said sorry before, but...but this means a lot to me. Yes. I forgive you. Can you forgive me for the lies I told about you?"

Bakugo forced himself to relax, slowly moving his hands up to gingerly pat Izuku on the back. "Um, what lies?"

"I...I sort of told Tenya and the others that you bullied me because I was quirkless, and that you beat up Mei because she was autistic. I was trying to get them to hate you. That was wrong of me."

"Shit, have you been talking to Shiozaki too?" Bakugo sniffed, trying to maintain his composure.

Izuku separated from Bakugo, confusion written on his face. "Her? No, why? I didn't think I told her any lies about you, did she hear them?"

"No, never mind. It's just...you sound like she does. What she told me. Anyway. Yeah. I forgive you. Though I think I probably deserved it."

"No, I was wrong," Izuku stated. "I tried to hurt you. Not because I wanted justice, but just because I was hurting. That wasn't right."

"Thanks," Bakugo whispered, stepping in and squeezing Izuku for real this time. "Thanks for showing me how to be a real hero, Izuku."

Izuku let Bakugo go, and he walked over to where Mei and Hari were working, crouching down.