The Final Plunge

The Final Plunge

The price of freedom is high, it always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it.

Steve Rogers, Captain America

For once, Izuku didn't feel nervous as he looked down into the cameras. He was standing atop the stage in the central auditorium, with most of the heroes and police seated or standing along the back walls. The recording equipment was set up to broadcast his message to the families and civilians inside the complex, as well as to later be distributed as a last call for help. He needed to do this, to let everyone know just what exactly they were facing.

"The Paranormal Liberation Army is coming for us," Izuku said, his eyes drifting to the handwritten speech he had on the podium before him. He'd practiced it in front of Mei at least a dozen times. Focus on that, on her, standing beside him as he spoke.

Behind Izuku stood the remains of Class 1A, Togata, Burnin, Pixie Bob, Aizawa, Tsuragamae, Nezu, and Hado. For this broadcast, they'd put on hero costumes and police uniforms instead of the typical more uniform battlegear they'd adopted. Izuku, however, was dressed in the Power Suit, as was Mei.

"The PLF claims that they seek to bring freedom to all, to create a society where all are equal, a utopia where no laws restrict the use of quirks. They say that they will reform a corrupt government, and bring about a golden age."

Izuku grit his teeth, his eyes narrowing in anger. "Well. Let's take a look at what they've done."

Above him on the screen, images of the quirkless concentration camp were projected. Starving, dirty people in tattered rags. Bodies hung from the desecrated UA buildings, children crying over the corpses of their parents. Video of the former Prime Minister being reduced to ashes. A burned out town with bloated corpses in the street, with PLF soldiers posing over the bodies of slain heroes as they were trophy animals. Izuku had to close his eyes as he listened to Mr. Azara beg for his life, before being reduced to bloody chunks. At last, the montage ended.

"Actions speak louder than words," Izuku said. "The PLF isn't here to bring a new dawn, but an endless night. Tomura Shigaraki is no savior: he seeks only death and destruction as their own means, for he is the heir of All For One. He would sooner see Japan destroyed than allow it to escape his grasp."

"This cannot be allowed to happen! We shall stand against Shigaraki and his thugs, and end their threat once and for all! We will restore the peace. There will be hope for the future, a day where children can smile once more, where everyone, regardless of what they were born as, is equal, and can decide their own fate."

"Any who wish to stand with us, join us. We will meet Shigaraki on the field of battle, and we shall destroy him. But it's not me that you should fear, Shigaraki."

Bakugo suddenly slammed down onto the stage beside Izuku from where he'd been hovering just out of the camera's field of view. The air around him was visibly distorted with power, and the Black Whip snaked about his arms. He slowly lifted off the stage, sparks flying from his hands.

"Hey, Chapstick. Did ya miss me?" Bakugo asked, a wicked grin on his face. Izuku muffled a groan. This was not the script they were supposed to be following.

"You think you're strong, do you? What'd you do, steal a bunch of quirks from little kids like the coward you are? Well I got news for you; you're just a thug. An arrogant, puffed up kid who history will be glad to forget the second you're dead. Why? 'Cause you're weak."

Bakugo dropped again, the Black Whips folding back into his arms. "Oh, sure, you got All For One's power. Daddy had to hand that to you, didn't he? Well, I suppose this is the part where I talk about how I got All For One from All Might, how I'm gonna kick your ass, blah blah blah. They wrote me a whole script. Real inspiring. But look. We ain't gonna beat you 'cause I've got more quirks or better ones or whatever. Nah. This is why we're gonna beat you."