False Masks

Beta'd by kylekatarn77 and Poliamida

46. False Masks

"A man who trusts everyone is a fool and a man who trusts no one is a fool. We are all fools if we live long enough."

Lews Therin, The Wheel of Time

The next morning Izuku was up early, hitting the gym with Mei and some of the others, then a quick breakfast and over to Endeavor's Agency. He headed to the conference room, picking up the day's schedule and assignments.

"Looks like you and I got early street patrol," Shinso said as he looked over his own schedule. "Great, now I can be overshadowed by the giant walking tin can."

"I think I'm just going to use the Power Suit," Izuku said. "It's more personable and easier to approach than the Ultra Armor."

"So I'll be overshadowed by a small tin can. That somehow doesn't feel better," Shinso sighed. Izuku knew him well enough now just to smile and go get changed.

"I'm heading out on patrol," he told Mei as he jogged into the support area. "I'll be taking the Power Armor this time I think, shouldn't need the Ultra Armor."

"Good, I'll take the time to do maintenance on it," Mei agreed, coming over and giving Izuku a quick kiss. "Our baby was pretty beat up from your fight with Iceman and I haven't finished with it yet. Hari's on command duty, she'll keep you safe."

Mei helped Izuku take off his prosthetic and load into the Power Suit, which had a detachable arm in the latest model. That way, Izuku could take it with him if the rest of the suit was damaged, but he didn't have to worry about damaging his regular use arm.

"I'll see you when I get back," Izuku said, giving Mei a hug, then jogging out of the Support Bay. He found Shinso waiting for him, already dressed in his costume.

"We're supposed to patrol downtown and through the business district," Shinso said, tapping at his phone then tucking it away. "Hari's got a route set up for us. You ready?"

"Yeah, let's go," Izuku agreed. "Can you hear me, Hari?"

"Loud and clear. You two keep your eyes open. Word is, the MLA is pissed at us right now," Hari warned.

"Of course," Izuku agreed. "We'll just put on a show. Who's on standby today?"

"Endeavor's out with Shoto on a father son bonding mission. Friggin' finally! Been telling that stubborn fool he needed to spend some more time with his dad. He wanted to bring someone else along but thank God Momo talked some sense into him. Anyway, her, Ochako, and Bakugo are on standby with Burnin for now. Mina and Mashirao are on deck for patrol after you, along with Tsu and Rocky."

"Got it, we'll let you know if anything comes up," Izuku promised.

The patrol was a routine now for Izuku and Shinso. A major part of it was just making the presence of the heroes felt on the street. With rising violence and crime, along with attacks by the League of Villains and the Meta Liberation Army fresh in people's minds, it was becoming harder and harder to keep the peace. As was quickly evidenced.

"We've got a report of a robbery at the corner store a block ahead of both of you," Hari reported only 20 minutes into their patrol. "I'm on the line with the police, they say early indicators are at least three robbers, and a driver. At least one mutant type, quirks unknown."

"On it!" Izuku said, grabbing Shinso under the arms and lifting off into the air. They flew the short distance, to where Izuku could hear shouts and screams ahead of them. There was a dingy white truck illegally parked in front of a gas station, with a masked man with three odd red blade-like horns coming out of his forehead.