Achilles in his Tent

This document beta'd by kylekatarn77 and Poliamida

20. Achilles In His Tent

Pride costs us more than hunger, thirst, and cold.

Thomas Jefferson

"Izuku! Did you remember to pack extra underwear? What if it's cold? Did you remember your jacket? What about-"

"It's fine, mom," Izuku said, giving his mother a crooked grin. "I have everything."

"Oh, are you sure?" Inko asked, wringing her hands nervously. "It's just...this is the first time you'll be away from home for a long time! What if you forget something?"

"I'll be OK, mom. Mei, Shinso, Mr. Aizawa, and the other kids from the Hero Course are going to be there," Izuku reassured her.

"Oh, alright. Just...try to have fun, OK? And stay safe!" his mother admonished.

Izuku smiled and reached out to give his mother a quick hug. He found himself doing that more, especially since Mei constantly craved physical affection. "I will mom. It's only a week, and the teachers will take care of us. We're just going to the woods to train. It'll be fun!"

"Alright. Well, I'll see you in a week! Have fun! And don't forget to call!" Inko ordered.

"Mom, it's in the woods. We won't have service. It'll be fine!" Izuku waved, then headed down to the street where Hari and Mei were waiting for them.

"You ready to go camping?" Hari asked, helping Izuku put his backpack in the trunk of her car.

"Yeah, it's my first time. I think it'll be fun," Izuku said, climbing into the backseat with Mei.

"I hope they remember to bring all our babies!" Mei said, sounding half frantic. "What if they forget the grappling hook? Or the missiles? How can we take care of our babies in the woods?!"

"It'll be fine, Mei. Sheesh, try to have fun. You remember when dad took us camping?" Hari asked, looking in the mirror as she pulled away from the curb.

"I remember that frogs taste funny," Mei muttered.

Izuku snorted, covering his mouth to keep himself from laughing.

"Oh, laugh all you want, Midoriya. I'm expecting you to make sure she comes back without needing a trip to the emergency room," Hari scolded.

"Well, I'm not a little kid anymore. I won't try to eat a frog. Besides, I was really bored. This time, I'll have Izuku and our babies to keep me company," Mei stated.

"I-I'll try to keep from eating any frogs," Izuku said seriously.

"They don't taste very good," Mei stated. "And then you can hear colors for a while. And hospitals are not fun either."

They arrived at the school right on time. Most of the other students were waiting around in front of UA, chatting or sitting on top of their luggage. One girl, Izuku was pretty sure it was Yaoyorozu, looked as though she had packed most of her belongings, as she had at least a dozen pieces of luggage. Bakugo was there, off to the side by himself with a single backpack. When he saw Izuku, he frowned and turned away, moving even further away from the group.

"Mei! Izuku!" Ashido called, waving excitedly and running over. "They told us you were going to be coming! This is super awesome! Are you going to be joining the Hero Course now?!"

"Um, maybe," Izuku said. "Um, Ashido, this is Hari Hatsume, Mei's older sister."

"Hello!" Ashido said, smiling and bowing politely. "Your sister is like, super smart. Plus, she's got pink hair! Like me! Us pink haired ladies got to stick together!"