Who's on First?

This document beta'd by kylekatarn77

18: Who's On First

Sometimes two people find each other with broken foundations, and they build something together as a team to make a foundation that is indestructible.

-Swapna Rajput

"Right. That's enough for today," Aizawa said, wrapping his capture weapon back over his body.

Groaning, Izuku forced himself from his back into a sitting position from the dusty blue mats on the floor of Gym Gamma. Shinso just sank down into a squat, breathing hard. Both boys were battered and bruised after over an hour of hard full contact sparring with each other and Mr. Aizawa. They'd finally graduated from learning how to take a punch to learning how to both give and receive, though it was a painful process.

"Aww, you didn't even let Izuku use any of our babies," Mei complained.

Aizawa glanced at Mei, frowning slightly. He typically gave the impression that he was faintly irritated with Mei, though Izuku had noted he always asked where she was whenever she didn't attend. "Anyway, I'm giving you next week off. With final exams, I want you focused on your studies."

"Thank God," Shinso groaned. "I feel like I haven't studied at all."

"Well, you have Sunday to remedy that. And I'll say this: if you fail, I'm not going to allow you to attend the summer training camp."

"Summer training camp?" Izuku asked, suddenly perking up.

"The Hero course classes are going to be attending a special week long training camp in the forest. I'm considering allowing the three of you to attend," Aizawa stated.

Mei looked up. "You mean, I get to come too? But I'm not training to be a hero."

"You're essential to Izuku's training, considering you've basically substituted for a quirk in his case," Aizawa said with a shrug. "When the others are undergoing quirk training, I expect the two of you to be stress testing the equipment in the field. If you're not there to help with repairs and modifications, there's no real point to Izuku coming. So, you both have to pass your exams."

"Even English?" Mei prodded.

Aizawa just stared back with his blood shot eyes, and Mei let out a long sigh. "Fine, I'll actually study this time. I did last year with Izuku anyway so I remember how."

"Of course you never had to study before," Shinso grumbled. "I suppose you're just naturally talented at everything."

"Nope! I'm really bad at English and I'm not very good at fighting. Do you remember when Bakugo beat me up? That was really painful!" Mei said cheerily.

Shinso blinked. "I suppose that's what I get for complaining. What about me, sir?"

"You've got plenty of ways you can work to improve your quirk. The number of ways you can control people. Disguising your voice with that voice modulator Mei's making, and so on."

"Will there be a workshop for us?" Izuku asked curiously.

Aizawa nodded. "We're bringing in things special for you. Give a list of what you think you'll need to Maijima and he'll make sure it's there. Oh, and bring things to help the other first years with their own quirks. It's a good opportunity to work with them to create helpful gear."

"You really seem to be going out of your way for us," Izuku said nervously. "I don't want to inconvenience you."

"Not at all. There's some things going on in the background. You know about Stain and the League of Villains?" Aizawa asked.