Chapter 2: Shadows

Yi Yeon was stretched out on his couch, going through the pictures of Yi Rang's phone.
He hasn't done that for a while, because though his brother was reborn, the pictures showed him with the family he left behind.
He always pretended how he cared for no one but that was the biggest lie. He was so much more caring than he would ever admit.
Yi Rang even managed to let more people into his heart after all the rejection he had to suffer from in 600 years.
And all those people were still around and missing him.
Yi Yeon was aware, that he wouldn't be around if it wasn't for his little brother.
He would have been fine with being dead, so Yi Rang could live, but now they both weren't just alive, they both lived and it was good.

„If you were a dokdo shrimp, I could hold you in an aquarium.." he mumbled, while he zoomed in a picture where Yi Rang was smiling.
„Do you even know how much they loved you, you fool.. Ji Ah was the only one able to look for you because she's the only one who wouldn't burst into tears, seeing your annoying face." Yi Yeon sighed and put the phone away.

„What are you mumbling about?" Ji Ah came out of the bathroom, ready to get to bed.

Yi Yeon leaned his head back and closed his eyes. „I need to look for him. I have to see if he's okay.." he mumbled and opened his eyes when he felt a pair of soft lips on his forehead. Ji Ah was upside down, but her smile gave him comfort and he smiled back.

„How do you wanna find him. He's probably home now and the city is huge.."

„I can smell him against the wind. I will find him." Yi Yeon jumped up. „Don't wait for me okay? And don't worry, I won't do something stupid." he smiled.

„When did you ever do something stupid?" Ji Ah mocked lightheartedly and kissed him good bye before she vanished in the bedroom.

-

When Yi Jeong woke up, he couldn't even remember how he fell asleep in the first place. He was on his couch, in Woo Bin's arms.
The drama they were about to watch was still paused and the TV screen the only light source in the room.
Woo Bin was deep asleep, his face covered with traces of tears and Yi Jeong's heart broke a little.
He caressed his cheeks lightly and breathed a kiss on his nose.
His body still felt numb and he tried to remember what happened.
Today had just been an ordinary, happy day. Work was great, the evening was about to become cozy, the snow..

Yi Jeong freed himself from the embrace, carefully to not wake Woo Bin up. Was it still snowing?
He walked to the balcony and stopped, because for a split second, he thought someone was sitting outside, or was it just his own reflection?

Yi Jeong grabbed his box of cigarettes and opened the door slowly, to not make any noise. There was no sign left, that it snowed earlier. Had that all been just a dream?

„Hello?" he whispered into the silence, but very much not to his surprise, he was alone and breathed out the air he was holding with relief. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath and noticed a strange, quite familiar scent in the air.
Yi Jeong lit a cigarette, but somehow, just the first pull made him feel a bit sick in his stomach and he left it in the ashtray to die on its own, while he leaned over to look down on the street. The apartment was on the 9th floor and the few people passing were just small, black dots.

„Hey.." he heard a whisper behind him and almost jumped out of surprise. He turned around, just to see Woo Bin, wrapped in the blanket, looking at him with huge, sad eyes. They were a bit swollen from the tears and again, Yi Jeong's heart broke a little.

„It's not snowing anymore.." he whispered and Woo Bin looked up into the night sky. „Are you okay?" he asked carefully and Yi Jeong nodded.
„You scared me.." Woo Bin was still standing in the door frame, not sure what to do.