Chapter 22: Shards

Woo Bin and Yeon reached the park together. The time was right because Woo Bin was barely able to walk a few steps alone and was grateful for the support Yeon gave him.

"Are you really sure?" Yeon asked and Woo Bin nodded.

"I can't go back now. I don't know if I will find that strength again. I have faith in the bead you gave me. I have Yi Jeong's happy face in my mind, what can go wrong?" he forced a smile and Yeon squeezed his shoulder. "I hope you know that you will be missed in this family... Even if we just met... it doesn't matter."

"Shut up..." Woo Bin mumbled and took off his jacket. "Give this to Yi Jeong, okay? It was hard to find the perfect leather jacket, so... future Woo Bin will be grateful. There's also my mobile phone in the pocket. It's unlocked and I left a message for him." he paused for a moment, then added quietly: "Look after him for me, will you?"

Yeon smiled softly. "Of course."

Woo Bin wiped away a tear and laughed helplessly. "I'm scared.." he admitted and now Yeon pulled him into a tight embrace.

"You'll be okay. We all have been on the other side before. I've seen the worst places and still, it's all endurable if you hold on to the thought for whom you're doing this. I don't know what's waiting for you there but I know you are strong enough. We will do anything to find you if you get lost... But who knows. If she fulfills her part of the deal, you might as well be back tomorrow.

Woo Bin looked up, searching for a lie in Yeon's eyes, but he couldn't find a single doubt and that gave him hope.

He took a deep breath and looked up to the sky. It was bright blue that day, with only tiny, puffy clouds. The ones he liked most because when he was a child, he often spent hours and hours watching them to discover all different kinds of creatures. Woo Bin smiled.

"I'm ready." he said and called for Misery.

-

Yi Jeong reached home an hour and a half later.

"Woo Bin!!" he yelled excitedly and stumbled into the living room, but it was empty.

"Woo Bin! I have it! I have your bead!"

He got no reply and searched every room, before he ended up in the living room again, out of breath and very confused.

"Woo Bin?" he asked again, quietly, then he saw the note on the table and picked it up.

They never left without leaving notes, but this one was for his mom.

"Dear Chi Un. I can't say this without bursting into tears, so I'm writing it down.. You are the only mother I ever had. Don't worry about me. Thank you for giving me a home and allowing me to love your son the way I do. It meant everything to me. I love you and I hope we will meet again, soon. Woo Bin."

Yi Jeong's hand was shaking when he put down the note. "What the hell are you talking about?"

The doorbell rang and Yi Jeong rushed to the door, expecting to see his boyfriend's face, but it was Shin Ju.

He was looking at him with the weirdest expression, something between very serious and being in deep pain.

"Hyung-Nim! You have to come with me! I think we have a hint where to find the bead! Go say good bye to Woo Bin. Quick! I mean.. take your time! Please take your time, Hyung.. then hurry."

Yi Jeong was just staring at the man who looked like a fresh actor trying to say his lines out loud for the first time, then his stomach turned upside down. He pushed Shin Ju out of the way and started running. He knew where to go. He understood what was going on.