Chapter 19: The Wise Magpie

In the car, Yi Jeong wrote a message to his brother.

"Hyung... Are you still up? Please give me a call.."

It took only two minutes until his phone rang and he picked up. Yeon was talking in a low voice and Yi Jeong put him on speaker, so Woo Bin could join the conversation while driving.

"What's wrong?" he asked, immediately knowing that this wasn't because Yi Jeong missed him already. This was something serious.

"We're on the way back to Yu Ri's house.. Something happened.. it's bad.. Can you wake everyone up? Or meet us outside.." his voice broke because he was barely able to stay focused instead of completely falling apart.

The way Yi Jeong sounded was freaking Yeon out, but he tried to stay positive and cheer him up with the first thing that came to mind.

"Hey. It can't be that bad.. As long as Woo Bin didn't make a deal with a fairy."

"Yeah, about that.." Woo Bin started and they both heard the phone drop and Yeon cursing before he picked it up again.

"Are fucking kidding me now? You're joking, right?"

"Wait... how does he know?" Yi Jeong asked and looked at his boyfriend.

"I... might have tricked him into giving me some answers about that woman who offered me the deal. I'm sorry.. I know it was beyond stupid..."

"Yeah, yeah it was. But I should have followed my gut feeling, that this wasn't about a book at all." Yeon sounded exhausted even before he had heard the whole story.

"I was pretty convincing right?" Woo Bin said with a proud grin and Yi Jeong punched his arm because he saw nothing to joke about in that moment.

"Unfortunately, yes." Yeon mumbled. "So... tell me.. what's the deal.."

"I met her for the first time when.." Woo Bin started, but Yi Jeong interrupted.

"Long story short. He was a Gumiho in his past life, tried to become one again and now has seven days to find his missing fox bead or he will vanish forever with that fairy. We bring the glasses and I hope you have some better ideas than to find it somewhere in there."

"I... wake them up." Yeon said dryly and ended the call.

When Yi Jeong and Woo Bin arrived, everyone had already gathered in the living room. They all looked tired but concerned, only Yu Ri jumped up angrily when the couple entered the room.
She was about to jump on Woo Bin but stopped right in front of him and hissed: "I would kill you myself if you weren't dead already, you idiot."

Woo Bin looked at Yi Jeong and said: "See. That's what I wanted to hear from you. That's what I deserve."

Yi Jeong rolled his eyes and shoved Woo Bin to the couch. "Shut up, idiot.." he mumbled and they all settled.

"What can we do?" Ji Ah asked, trying to hide how concerned she was.

"First, I suggest we go see Granny. She can check if his time is really up in seven days. If it's settled, the day he dies must have changed already in the database."

"Who's Granny? We have a Granny?" Yi Jeong asked and Yeon replied: "Her name is Taluipa. She runs the Afterlife Immigration Office. She hates it but she's basically family. She's also not a fan of Rang... but her face is always grumpy anyways, so don't worry. Most of the time, she hates me, too."

"Can't wait to meet her again.." Ji Ah said dryly.

"You don't have to come.. Someone has to watch our little devil." Yeon smiled at her, but she shook her head. "No. We have to make sure to save Woo Bin. And if I have to sit in front of that door for days again.." Ji Ah was determined to do whatever she can and Yeon knew it was a battle he couldn't win, if he tried to convince her otherwise.