☾ 04. 𝙘𝙤𝙡𝙙

The flame of love,was now just cold loneliness

The flame of love,
was now just cold loneliness.

"Boo!" Haizaki called out as he came about from the corner, scaring [name] as they were playing a game of chase. Haizaki smiled as [name] giggled and soon plopped herself into his short arms as they were playing outside their house.

It was dark, and Haizaki knew [name] loved to watch the stars and moon. No matter how many times their parents told them not to stay outside for too long, especially when it was winter.

"Papa will be going to a faraway place tomorrow to help earn money for our family," Haizaki said with a smile, and [name] could only giggle then.

"But that's because papa loves us a lot " [name] said with a smile, and Haizaki smiled back at how kind and affectionate his younger sister was. His dark blue ocean eyes widened as he heard growling noises and how his younger sister tensed up in his arms.

"Shh..." he whispered out as they quickly made their way into the house, and Haizaki tugged onto their mother's kimono, causing her to stop in her house chores and look at him.

"Mama, demons are out there... Where is papa?" and their mother's eyes could only widen as she quickly picked [name] up in her arms and ran into the room by dragging Haizaki along with her as well. She bit her lips as she flung opened the cupboard and placed the siblings inside.

"Whatever happens, don't come out okay?" she whispered out and noticed how Haizaki was holding onto [name] who started to cry. Their mother could bit the bottom of her lips as the growling got louder, and then she flashed a smile as tears rolled down her eyes.

"Be careful from now on. Haizaki, remember to take care of [name] as well, okay?" she whispered out as she shut the door, whereas Haizaki held [name] back as he listened to the words of their mother.

He felt [name] gripping his clothes tightly, and he looked at her. From the small gap of the cupboard they were placed in, he could see how [name] was biting her lips harshly to prevent herself from crying.

And he could only gently pat her on the head as he soothed her silent sobs, waiting for a sign where they could finally come out from the cupboard.

How long were they in the cupboard? They couldn't tell, but Haizaki noticed the sun had risen, and it was cold, given how it was the winter season. With a shaky hand, he pushed the cabinet door open, only to watch as his dark blue ocean eyes widened.

The house was in a mess. Blood was everywhere. And there laid their mother who was bleeding profusely, no longer breathing. Their father knelt by her side as he held a chipped blade in his hand. Bleeding from the chest and head.

"Papa...?" [name] called out softly as she noticed her father was still breathing. Haizaki crawled out of the cupboard with [name] as they stood by their father's side.