𝒙𝒊 . . . deserved compensation

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 hours of the morning when Charlotte finally got to sleep, she couldn't seem to shake off the feeling that something bad was about to happen

𝐈𝐓 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 hours of the morning when Charlotte finally got to sleep, she couldn't seem to shake off the feeling that something bad was about to happen. She was woken from her very few hours sleep by Lucy shouting out Edmund's name. He must be back then. Bloody Peter is going to send them home some time today then, and I want to be there myself.

Pulling herself out of bed, she splashed her face with some warm water from the basin in the corner of the tent, and pulled out another dress. This one was dark blue with pale blue embroidery on the bodice. Running her brush through her hair, she tied it back in two french plaits, just like she had the day they all arrived in Narnia. Slipping on her shoes and slinging her bow and arrows over her shoulders, she took a look at herself in the mirror, and stepped out of the tent.

She had to squint her eyes in the early morning rays of the sun, rising up over the hill she and Peter would often sit on. Aslan and Edmund's figures were silhouettes against the sun, the lion looking every inch the wonderful king he was, and Edmund digging his foot into the ground, hunched over, listening to every word that was being directed at him.

Peter held Lucy's hand so she wouldn't run off to see her brother, because he knew that they would not like to be interrupted. He spotted Charlotte out of the corner of his eye give Susan a comforting smile, and take her hand to reassure her.

All four of them waited with baited breath when Aslan and Edmund started the descent down the hill, and when they stopped, Edmund suddenly became very interested in his shoes, and Aslan spoke,

"What's done is done. There is no need to speak with Edmund about what has passed." And with that, he turned and began to walk away.

"Hello." Edmund broke the tension, that was so thick it could be cut with a knife. Lucy took no time in barrelling straight into him, wrapping him in the tightest hug she could. It took a moment for him to respond, his arms wrapped around her, resting his chin on the top of her head.

Susan was next, when Lucy reluctantly removed her arms from around her brother's torso, and whispered in his ear, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm a little tired." When Susan was done, Charlotte gave him a smile (They had hardly spoken during their time in England), which he gladly returned, before slowly turning to face his brother. Both boys were staring at each other, until Peter broke the silence,

"Go and get some sleep." Edmund nodded his head sheepishly, silently hoping that his brother would say something else to him. Charlotte, noticing this, stepped over to Peter and hit him over the head, making him wince, and ask "What was that for?"

"Remember what I told you!" Peter in fact couldn't remember what she was talking about, until she jerked her head in Edmund's general direction discreetly so he wouldn't know what was happening. She didn't need to do this, because Edmund was lost in his own world, wondering how Peter had gotten somebody as pretty as Charlotte to talk to him, when she has been so adamant in not wanting to meet them. He was pulled out his thoughts when Peter spoke again, now understanding what the red-head was trying to say.