𝒙𝒍𝒊 . . . enchanted

✰ —— 𝑨𝑼𝑻𝑯𝑶𝑹𝑺 𝑵𝑶𝑻𝑬𝑺 —— ✰

I. Mature content begins around half way down the chapter

II. All characters are above the BRITISH legal age ( 16 ) and are fully consenting adults

III. The scene isn't necessarily related to the plot, so it's perfectly fine if you're not comfortable reading it

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐍 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐒𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄𝐃 at its peak in the sky, hung by an invisible string tying it to the endless oblivion of blue above. Charlotte and Caspian still hadn't left their solace atop a slab over looking the Shuddering Woods, and their legs were hanging over the edge, knees occasionally knocking together. Charlotte abruptly stopped laughing at the Prince trying to swat away a fly buzzing around his nose, when an unnatural ripple travelled through the lower tree branches.

She clipped Caspian over the back of the head to get him to shut up, and Charlotte gestured with her elbow down past their swinging ankles, and to the field below them. A black horse snickered, and tossed its mane to one side, as the Telmarine sat in the saddle took his time to survey his surroundings. Once Susan had caught sight of him after the training archers pointed him out, she tried to shoot and arrow at him before he managed to get away.

However she was too late, and the most her arrow managed to hit was the thick tree trunk where the soldier had been not ten seconds before. Susan had enough trust in her bow, it just didn't listen to her when she willed it to turn around a corner. The Gentle Queen's eyes trailed up the long shadows that stopped falling down the side of the How when they reached an overhanging bush, and Susan couldn't help but feel herself sink a little.

Despite knowing that Charlotte had Peter and they would probably never leave each other for someone else, Susan didn't stop herself from feeling a twang of jealousy. But her slight fear was squashed before it could manifest, when Charlotte jumped up from sitting, and dashed away into the shadows of the How. Caspian rose to his feet slowly after, and he raised his hand at Susan, and waved it hesitantly from side to side twice.

Then, he was off following Charlotte, and she rounded up all of the Narnians who were gripping bows limp in their weak grips, and counted hurriedly under her breath to make sure none of them had wandered off while she was busy. Susan still had the exact same number of struggling archers when she had finished, and the two squirrels that had joined her bounded away, leading them all back through the entrance way.

𝐏𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐑, 𝐋𝐔𝐂𝐘, 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐄𝐃𝐌𝐔𝐍𝐃 had all congregated under the archway forming the entrance of the How, where Susan stood between Lucy and Edmund. Charlotte and Caspian appearing not thirty seconds later, creating the end of the line. Two more Telmarine soldiers had presented themselves, and Lucy brought a hand up to cover her mouth. Charlotte broke the uncomfortable silence. "This can't be good. We're going to need an excellent plan if we want to get out of this alive."