𝒙𝒍𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊 . . . hugh alexander

✰ —— 𝐖𝐄𝐃𝐍𝐄𝐒𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝟖𝐭𝐡 𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟗𝟒𝟏 —— ✰

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄 𝐃𝐈𝐃𝐍'𝐓 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 time she'd finally slept the previous night — she wasn't sure if she even cared to know. However when she was woken up by a cry from Maria Kent to Elsie Ambrose enduring the usual chastising from Joan Clarke, with Anna Winters scraping out the remnants of her watercolours from the pans for the last time, she felt the familiar sensation of tears threatening to fall.

She and Anna got ready in the bathroom as they always did, and sat adjusting their uniforms together in front of the mirror with Joan.

Joan made all of the girls stand in a line to check the standards of their uniforms — Elsie made her usual comment: "Why Newton was made head girl over you I'll never know." And then they all trooped out of the room in their respective pairs or solitude. Maria, like usual, was last and alone to shut and lock the door while rolling her skirt up as she'd seen Charlotte and Anna do on countless occasions.

The five girls eventually joined lines of others, trailing behind to breakfast. Once in the hall with the tables, Maria left to sit by herself so she could glare at Charlotte from across the room, eventually coming to be joined by a few other girls she could hold a pleasant conversation with.

The four other girls sat with the Pevensies. Charlotte and Peter sat together without question, and Edmund turned a harsh shade of crimson when Joan accidentally nudged his shoulder whilst trying to get to the toast in the middle of the table.

He kicked both of his sisters sharply on their shins under the table when he caught them laughing silently with shaking figures at his predicament.

Charlotte and Peter usually joined in on the jokes and laughter; often inputting their own snarky comment. But that morning, Charlotte loathed it. She found it irksome, irritable. Everything around her was totally and completely and utterly normal. How did it deserve to be, if everything she'd grown accustomed to, was about to change? Again?

Her leg bounced under the table and her fingers tapped the back of Peter's hand impatiently, and it caught his attention. "Penny for your thoughts?" Charlotte ignored him — accidentally. Of course it was an accident. "Lottie? Lottie? Charlotte!" That caught her attention; he never called her by her full name if he could help it.

Evidently, everyone else sat around them had picked up on the notion too and noticed the tone Peter had taken and the surprise with which Charlotte had jumped at it. Lucy had her fork halfway up to her mouth ( Susan held back a scoff and an eye roll at her slack jaw and wide eyes ) and Elsie nearly threw the spoon piled up with sugar for her tea all over herself.

"Sorry —" Charlotte cleared her throat and cursed herself for her reaction. Pathetic, again. She was still tapping away at the table, except not on Peter's hand. That was on her shoulder. "Sorry. What did you say?" Clearly she was still out of it, and Peter took note. He hauled her out of the chair by the hand, and Charlotte followed him out of the room.