𝒙𝒙𝒗𝒊𝒊𝒊 . . . the fine print

"𝐋𝐔𝐂𝐘?" 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐏 the the girl, the hesitance not dropping from her pretty face once

"Yes, Charlotte?" The cup of tea that was held in her fingers was placed back down onto the porcelain saucer with a soft clink. Lucy was too busy thinking about why Charlotte looked like she'd just seen a ghost, that she failed to notice Mrs Beaver dart out of the large room to give them some privacy. "What do you want?" Her question was asked with a child-like grin.

"First of all, do you promise to tell me if you think this is a completely stupid and ridiculous idea?"

"Yes... you do know I would do that anyway, don't you?"

That would have been the perfect example of 'ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.' For you see, anyone who had ever asked the Valiant Queen a question, would always get an answer, never minding the ludicrousness of the inquiry. It was important for one to remember they were not talking to a mere child, but a seventeen year old Queen; wise beyond her few years. If you asked a question, an honest answer would always be given.

"Of course, sorry, Lu. I've known that for ages. Anyway..." Charlotte was a little wary of her next vocabulary choices, "Do you think it would be a good idea for Susan and I to enter the upcoming archery competition?"

"Was that it?" Lucy blinked owlishly in the midst of her confusion.

"What do you mean, 'was that it?'. It was a perfectly valid question!" Susan had made her appearance from outside the door, her hands placed firmly on her grey dress clad hips. Her lips were pursed too, making her appearance look all the more comical. "Are you meaning to tell me that is all you have to say on the matter?"

Lucy laughed before answering and pouring two more cups of steaming tea into fine china tea cups, "No. All I mean, is that I'm surprised neither of you entered as soon as the contest was announced." She shrugged, and took a sip out of the small china cup. Lucy was highly amused to see Charlotte looking at Susan with a smug expression.

"I told you that's what she would have said! I don't understand why you think the Lords will talk badly about you."

"No, that's what you don't care about." Susan pointed out.

"Well, that is because they don't like me. And there's not a single hope left considering I never signed the potentially new law last year. They've got nothing bad to say about you, so what have you got to lose by entering, Su?"

Susan was beginning to be pushed closer and closer to the looming edge of persuasion.

"I've heard that the prize money is a lovely sum too. You could use it to start work on the orphanage you've been planning for the Lone Islands." Lucy started to swirl the last few dregs of her tea around the cup with the spoon as Charlotte began to examine the tips of her nails. Both knew Susan was fully convinced; she'd been talking about the orphanage for weeks now.