FOURTEEN

Word Count: 1869

I've been back at work now for a week now, and everything already feel different.

Lev and I returned from the Passion Pack without anymore sorted out between us. Mercifully, he hasn't brought up anything about what he said to me. Right now, I want to focus on gaining Cian's attention on Noah's behalf, instead of whether I should be dating my best friend or not.

Laying back on the staff couch, I stare at the magazine full of numbing stories and extravagant pictures. Every lunch break has been like for me recently, as I simply wish time would pass by quickly.

"For a second there I didn't think you were coming back," Renna says, falling onto the couch behind me.

"I need this job remember," I tell her. "And believe it or not, I like working here."

If only that were true. I didn't mind working here, back when Cian was only briefly talking to me, and I wasn't involved in all this mess with Stace and Noah. Now I feel frightened being here, like Cian is going to figure me out at any moment and kill me.

"Liar. No one likes working here," Renna laughs, biting back on her carrot sticks. I shake my head at her, assuming she's only here for the money too.

"Trust me, there are worse jobs out there," I mutter, closing my magazine before letting it flop onto the coffee table. This job is arguably terrible, since my life is on the line lying to an immortal. The money I will hopefully get will be worth it, so I don't have to rely on Lev.

"You haven't been down there at all this week," Renna notes.

I pause, knowing exactly what she is talking about. I've employed a tactic in order to gain Cian's trust, that includes completely ignoring him. I'm meant to be angry at him, since the last time I spoke to him, he dragged me away to another realm. So if I came to him, all sweet and buttery, he would know something is wrong.

And Cian can absolutely not know that I have less than honourable intentions.

"I have nothing to talk to him about," I tell her simply, eyeing her sideways. She has a knowing smile, like she knows more than she is letting on.

"Has he spoken to you?" she asks.

"No, of course not," I reply, a little too quickly. The last thing I need is Renna spreading the fact that Cian has spoken to me around the workplace. If she thinks I can, then she might try it too, and I can't have anything interfering with my plan.

"Lying again," she laughs, nudging my side. "How did you do it?"

I sigh. I'm not even sure that I would have an answer for that even if I wanted to divulge it to Renna. Cian has been trying to convince me that there has been more luring me to him than just curiosity, which would make sense, since I've made way too many bad decisions since starting this job. I'm convincing myself it's because he's an Immortal Sin, and not anything else...

"I haven't done anything, Renna," I assure her.

"You got an Immortal to speak to you. One who hasn't spoken to any of us for months," she insists. I sigh, getting to my feet. She knows, clearly, that Cian has spoken to me, which is a terrifying thought, but not one I can avoid anymore.

I pace in front of Renna, hands clasped together in front of me as I speak. "I doubt any of you even tried."

"Oh, we did for a long while. We never got anything out of it," she admits, although that grin doesn't disappear from her face. I can imagine her and the rest of the workers sitting right outside his cell, coaxing him with ridiculous questions.