THIRTY TWO

Word Count: 1637

~Amolet

"What do immortal's eat, anyway?"

I glance around the corner and into the living room, where Cian sits, reading a book he plucked from my bookshelf. Seeing him with it reminds me of how him and I came to speak to each other. I brought him a book to read, even if it was a childish one. My plan with that was to bait him into speaking, which worked well in my favour. Now it's been two full days with him in Lev and I's apartment.

"Worry about yourselves before me," he responds distractedly.

Lev opens the freezer, pulling out a frozen pizza. Leaning against the kitchen counter, I sigh. It's been strange adjusting to Cian's presence in such a small space. He doesn't exactly fit in every aspect, having to dip his head through most entry ways, and surprisingly, barely fit into Lev's bed. Yet he hasn't complained once.

Avoiding touching him has been the hardest task of all. We are constantly brushing shoulders, hands nearly touching in passing, which has caused some flinching that has been hard to talk away.

Mercifully, Cian hasn't seemed to take much notice.

"Things are meant to feel normal for a little while...This doesn't feel normal," Lev mutters, glancing around the corner at Cian as he unwraps the pizza from its plastic binds. Lev and Cian has avoided speaking, or even looking in each other's direction, but Lev has agreed this is a far better fate than being locked up and used as a pawn by Noah and Stace.

"It's just till we can meet up with his sister, Ira. Then once Stace is gone, it will be over," I says quietly, pulling the oven door open for him.

Lev raises a skeptical brow. "Will it?"

"He's protecting us, remember?" I whisper lowly, hoping Cian isn't listening to our conversation, although I imagine that's exactly what he is doing.

"Can we talk, later?" Lev asks, sensing my discomfort talking about Cian when he is in earshot. I wince, knowing I've been putting this conversation off a lot, and that eventually I'm going to need to face it with him. But not when Cian is around. "About...You know, our relationship."

"Sure," I say breathily, adjusting the temperature of the oven before rushing out of the kitchen and into the living room. If I stay a moment longer, Lev is going to demand answers now, and I can't exactly tell him nothing will ever happen between us because I have found my mate. That will have Cian asking questions. "It's pizza tonight Cian, whether you like it or not."

He glances up from his book, giving me a tentative smile. "Anything to make you happy, Amolet.

Lev falls into a chair opposite the couch from Cian, staring him down with an expression that I already anticipate is going to lead to danger. "It's obvious you're trying to impress Amolet, you know."

My stomach twists into a painful knot. Cian's dark eyes flicker up from his book, focusing wholly on Lev, who surprisingly doesn't cower under an Immortal's undivided intention. The temptation to run to my room and lock myself in again tugs at me, but I remain where I stand. Lev is stepping on a dangerous line, and I don't want to be the one picking up the pieces once it ends.

"I don't need to impress her," Cian responds calmly, although his fingers tighten around either side of the book he holds.

"Do you want to fuck her?" Lev questions.

My mouth falls open with shock. Seriously? I'm used to Lev speaking his mind, especially when he gets frustrated, but this is on an entirely different level. He's been good about biting his tongue through our time in the Immortal realm, but now he is in his own home, he's happy to speak his mind, as vulgar and jarring as it is.