TWENTY SEVEN

Word Count: 1796

¬Amolet

The world artfully recreates itself around us the moment our feet touch the ground.

It's evident immediately that we are still in Sinful's Territory, mountains surrounding us from every angle. We are in a small village however, cobblestone streets stretching out before us, little shops and homes littered about under the starlight, lights glittering magically. Surprisingly, people are walking around, unbothered by the majestic mountains that rear up toward the sky, their master dwelling atop one of them.

Cian grasps my gloved hand, leading me down the street, following the path of pale moonlight that bathes stone. While he transported us, he also used magic to have a coat appear over my shoulders, a creamy scarf wrapped around my neck, thick gloves keeping away the bitter chill of the snowy night air. Down here, there is no magic to heat us.

I'm allowed only a moment to admire the spectacle unfolding around me before Cian leads me into a small restaurant, having to bow his head to enter.

People stare, some even brave enough to point at Cian, awed at being in a pure-bloods presence. I doubt a single passer-by has seen a pure-blood in person, and none will ever again. I would feel blessed to be in my position, until reality sinks into the depths of my stomach...

It's hard to feel anything other than numb when I realise I'm mated to a pure-blood.

"This place is very...intimate," I note quietly behind Cian as we are ushered to sit in a booth at the corner of the restaurant.

The room is small, pretty. Ivy curves up the exposed bricks walls from the inside, mingling with lights dotted about, all dim enough to cast a sultry glow across the room. I'm not sure how Cian knows of this place, but I don't question it. He dwarfs the place, head dipped until he is seated, his magic consuming the place, causing the few patrons to slide their gazes to us curiously, drinking in the sight of an unfamiliar girl sitting before the pure-blood.

Even if I were in danger, none of them would dare step forward.

Cian's dark eyes are still wary, unsure of why I pulled him away to a private location to speak. "No one will interrupt us here."

"I'm a bit worried about leaving Lev with Sinful," I note.

"No harm will come to him," he assures me, and I believe him. I'm starting to reform my idea that pure-bloods kill without mercy, just because they have the power to. Even though I don't doubt Cian would be capable of clicking his fingers and everyone would drop dead, I'm comforted by my internal knowledge that he wouldn't. "And I'll sense if he is in danger."

"What else can you do...As Greed?"

"My power is usually pulled from me by the Moon to be distributed to mortals. It happens to all my siblings, including the Virtues, and it keeps the world in balance," he explains, as if the notion of that isn't foreign to me. I've never had to be well-versed in magic, in the art of how the universe works with pure-bloods. "But I have powers of my own. I can transport myself and others anywhere I please, I can sense things and let's just say I'm stronger than the average immortal."

I swallow uncomfortably, looking down at my fingers knotted on my lap. "I believe you."

A waiter arrives and promptly takes our order, easing some of the tension floating around me. Any mention of his power makes me apprehensive, which I know he can sense. He pulls a red rose from the vase in the centre of the table, admiring it.

"What did you want to talk about, Akara?" he asks, looking at me as he dabs the damp stem on the napkin in front of him, fingers running along the satiny surface of the petal.