FORTY NINE

Word Count: 1729

~Amolet

I watch, unflinching, as Stace falls to his knees, clutching his neck.

"Amolet, wait!" He begs with what little air he has. My resolve is wavering, but I hold strong regardless. I would that seeing him kneeling like this, after everything he has been doing to essentially ruin my life, would feel better, and yet my heart aches, riddled with doubt. Maybe it's because of Aven...She would be better off without Stace, but yet the thought of leaving her mateless is haunting.

"Quiet," I growl, hopping he can't hear the wavering in my tone.

"Kill me, and the damage from this will be far larger than you can even comprehend," he warns coldly, blinking as his eyes water from the lack of breath. Suffocating him won't kill him, but enough of this magical strength around his neck should be enough.

"What are you talking about?" I snap. I let my hold on him slip a little; just enough to give him a chance to speak some more, while also making it obvious that it will only take me a single thought for that mental hand to wrap back around his neck again.

"You need to hear me out, let me explain everything," he begs.

I loosen the grip some more, letting him get to his feet. I feel strong, ready to take him down at any moment, although I make sure there is some reasonable space between us so he can't grab me. Sinful and Cian should be watching anyway, somewhere within the tree line, ready and willing to help if Stace attacks me.

"There is nothing to explain. You want my mate dead." Stace is responsible for killing immortals and purebloods, meaning he won't stop being a threat until he is out of this realm forever, with no intention of returning.

Or if he's dead...

"No, I don't..." he shakes his head. "I wasn't killing the pure bloods...It's Aven's mother that wanted to."

I hesitate, glancing back toward the manor as if Aven might storm out and catch us in the middle of this conversation. Stace would say anything to get out of this, wouldn't he? But would he put the blame on Aven's mother, who I haven't even met before? Seems as though he would be the last person to dismantle his mates reputation in order to get himself out of death...

I try to look less confused, but I'm not sure it's working. "What?"

"Aven's mother, she lives in the other realm. She found out part of my powers was that I could go between realms freely, and take others. She used Aven to get me to go through the portal and bring her here. When she realised she could rule here easier than in my realm, she tried..." he breaks off, looking down at his hands. I can see the turmoil, the pain.

His mate's mother has been causing havoc on this world, and he has been allowing it, for Aven. But now I can tell that he knows Aven isn't going to forgive him when she learns of what has been going on.
ow is that possible?" I demand.

"Aven's mother has powers. Bad one's, and she's still alive," he tells me. He speaks as if we are all in dangerous because of it, as if just the sound of that should make me shiver. And it does. "And she's going to kill Aven."

I can't even tell if I'm breathing at this point, as if I'm using my powers on myself. I really have no idea about all the terrible things in Aven's life that she clearly doesn't know about. Is Stace the one trying to protect her? Or is she just lucky to be so far away from all the chaos?

"How...Why would you do what she said?" I question. He should have said no. He shouldn't have given in to her, regardless of who she is.

"Because if I didn't, she would turn her wrath against my mate, and kill her in front of me," he exclaim frantically. His eyes are wild, genuine. "Do you have any idea what I would do for my mate?"