TWENTY SIX

Word Count: 1644

¬Amolet

I let that information settle on my shoulders, the weight of it nearly pushing my head under the water.

Part of me wants to burst out in laughter at the absurdity of the claim, but although Sinful looks amused, he's not joking around. My smile falters on my lips. It seems like such a far away notion, something so ridiculous there is no point delving into what it could mean were it true. Yet for a moment, I just linger in the water, letting the cold fingers of dread wrap themselves around my throat, gripping tightly to the point I can hardly breathe.

"How do I know you're not messing with me?" I breathe, grasping the cool edge of the poolside, wondering if I should drag myself out of the water so I don't drown with shock.

If anyone were to know if there was a deeper connection between Cian and I, it would be Sinful. He's Lust, and could sense there was more between Lev and I then I would have liked to divulge, so why wouldn't he know that Cian and I could be mates? But he is also an immortal, and cunning, and could be lying to me for either his amusement, or for his own gain...whatever that may be.

"What would I have to gain from that?" he shrugs, grinning widely, tapping the toe of his shoe in a puddle of water at the edge of the pool. "Personally I'm sad my brother has been paired with yet another mortal. How cruel is this world?"

I brush that off, pulling myself out of the pool, too distracted to worry about my lack of clothing.. "You're Lust...This probably amuses you."

"Oh, it definitely does," he confirms, offering his hand out to me, but I don't take it, pulling myself into a standing position myself. My legs quiver, threatening to give out, the overwhelming news leaving me to nearly forget how to function properly. "But I'm not lying. This is merely an assumption, remember?"

"Why do you think Cian and I are mates?" I ask gently.

I'm not going to stand here and deny that there is a connection between Cian and I, but I just attributed it to the fact that he is immortal, and how an alluring amount of power behind him. But what if there is more to that connection? What if we really are mates, destined to be together forever? I don't even want to contemplate my own mortality in comparison to his immortality...not yet, anyway.

"The fact that he is even willing to give a mortal girl protection, or any attention for that matter," he says, a towel appearing out of nowhere that he hands to me. I reluctantly take it, wrapping it around myself, bristling at his brutally honest words. "He should have discarded of you by now, yet for some reason, he sees worth in you. If you ask me, that doesn't make any sense."

I screw my nose up at his words, wishing he didn't feel so inclined to be honest like this when he doesn't need to be. I should be angry at him right now for telling me that Cian is my mate, as now it's my burden to carry, and there would have been a point where Cian and I touched and would have found out naturally.

"I really don't like you," I mutter, brushing past him.

"I'm doing you a favour," he comments, knowing full well what he has done. I roll my eyes, walking out of the pool room, feet padding against the marble flooring. "Go see for yourself."

I whirl around. "I can't do that..."

"Scared?" Sinful asks.

Narrowing my eyes, I curse under my breath, wishing I knew something about Sinful that I could use against him. But I know nothing about the immortal, or even his mate, who obviously isn't here right now. I would ask about them, but I don't want to risk upsetting Sinful to the point he decides he's bored of me and kills me on the spot.