EIGHT

Word Count: 1715

All the breath feels like it's been drawn out of me, as I slowly stalk back to the table.

Suddenly, I know information that I shouldn't, and now I don't know what I should do with it. Lev glances my way, unbothered and unknowing of what I just heard. It really isn't any of my business, and I shouldn't have listened in the first place, but I thought all I would hear was some gossip about Stace and whether he is truly a mortal or not.

Not...this. Do they truly plan to have Cian killed? I feel like I should warn him, yet at the same time, I'm not sure I want to be dragged into this.

Sliding back into my seat, I settle my shuddering fingers, silently cursing myself, wishing this information would simply vanish. Lev looks over me, looking as if he wants to question what I heard, but decides against it.

"We are going out tonight, after we eat," he tells me firmly, pushing his light hair back behind his ears. For a moment I'm so surprised he's said that, that I don't know what to say.

"What? No way."

"You need to go dancing, you work has made you way to uptight," he tells me jokingly, although there is a hint of truth dwelling beneath his tone. I narrow my eyes, knowing that dancing in a small room with a bunch of strangers is the last thing I want to be doing right now. "And I have a friend I want you to meet."

I blink, trying to register that. I'm meant to go meet a friend of Lev's when I know this information? It feels so unreal.

"I think I want to go home to sleep. I have a lot on my mind," I tell him slowly.

"You have too much on your mind," he says, grabbing a hold of my hand tightly. Lev knows me better than anyone, and he's realised I'm in my own head about something, and that right now is not the best time to ask about it. Instead, he wants to distract me. "Now let's go forget it, just for one night."

Drawing in a long breath, I finally nod, knowing he isn't going to give up on this one. I'll think about all of this later.

+++

Lev chose a spot in town that we have frequented a lot in the past. Those days are very much behind me, as I know prefer to curl up on the couch with Lev and watch our favourite TV show.

Even enjoying a simple pleasure like that seems impossible now.

"Amolet, I want you to meet Sam, a new friend of mine," Lev says over the pounding music. Almost as soon as we walked through the door, a pretty girl with voluptuous red hair and dark eyes approached, grinning widely at me. I've always known Lev attracts people to be his friend with ease, but he always insists I'm who he cares about the most. It makes me worry about finding a mate, or a girlfriend even...This gives me silent hope.

"How did you two meet?" she asks, wincing slightly through the dim lighting. The place is intimate, and tonight, is nearly at capacity. People bump into us, dancing merrily as they pay us no mind.

"I just started working at the bookstore," I tell her, not wanting to get into the real story. His family felt bad for me and allowed me to start working there when I was still in school. Lev worked there to, and in the beginning, I even had a crush on him. Now, he's my best friend, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

"Amolet works at that treatment facility down the road," Lev says in Sam's ear, his words nearly lost in the bass of the music, the thumping shuddering through the floor. "All the rumours are true."

Same raises her brows at me. "I heard they have some pretty crazy patients."

"It's a strange place, for sure," I tell her uneasily, thinking about Cian and what he may be doing right now. When do Stace and Noah plan to kill Cian, and how are they going to do it? Killing an immortal, especially a Sin isn't easy.