THIRTY EIGHT

Word Count: 1382

~Amolet

Sinful stands over Noah's dead body, grinning at it.

Cian summoned Sinful and Hale over moments after Noah died. His body isn't even cold, still lying in the exact same position in the entrance to my apartment. I can't stop staring at him, at the dark hair fanning his face, even if it makes me nauseas, like I'm going to be sick if one of them says the wrong words.

"You killed him?" Sinful asks, looking at me. I grit my teeth, trying not to be annoyed at his smugness. Noah may have been a terrible person, but he is dead, which allows him some semblance of respect. Even if it's hard to justify.

Cian nudges Noah with his foot. "I killed him. Amolet just started it."

"Alright, that's one down, I suppose." Sinful claps his hands together, his tone joyous.

"Don't look so smug," I snap, glaring at him. He only smiles at me, not bothered at all about how tactless he's being. Being immortal, he's probably lost all sense of meaning with death, since he will never have to face it unless another immortal decides to end his life. Maybe I'll be the one, even though I'm mortal. It's tempting. "Stace isn't going to be so easy."

"She's right. We need to be smart about this next step," Hale adds.

I'm glad Hale is speaking. Seeing his darkly dressed figure out of the corner of my eye makes me nervous. I'm still unsure about him, especially since he gets along so well with Ira. Not to mention his silver tattoos and piercing eyes. It's hard to avoid looking at him curiously.

"He's going to be angry, and he isn't going to trust us," Cian brings up. I'm afraid he's right, that Stace is going to be hostile now, and put all his forces against us. Yet, there's something in Stace that makes him different from Noah. He isn't just some other enemy for us. For whatever strange reason, Stace cares about my wellbeing, or at least for a moment he did.

"He didn't tell Noah anything about me and Cian being mates..." I voice.

Sinful's eyes light up in surprise as he examines the two of us, likely trying to see if the dynamic has changed between us. "Oh, so you know now?"

"Yes, I know."

Sinful opens his mouth, likely to say something at Cian's expense, but I cut him off.

"Because he didn't tell Noah, I think he was starting to doubt if he was even on the right side or not. I think if I'm able to talk to him, then I can get through to him," I exclaim. Surely it's worth a shot, to bring Stace onto our side. I can't help but think about what he said to me when he drew me away. He was concerned I was being hurt after using my powers, and sent me right back to Cian...Why would he do that if he was friendly?

"And then what? Because last time I checked, you can't bring all those immortals back to life that he killed." Sinful tilts his head to the side, the lilt to his tone suggesting he's mocking me.

My eyes narrow. "I know, but he will be easier for you all to kill if he trusts us."

If Stace sides with us, I'm secretly hoping they won't kill him. I know he has done terrible things in his past, but if he can redeem himself, then surely they will considering sparing him. I doubt it though, but maybe I can get through to Cian.

"If he knows you are working with us, he won't trust you," Hale reminds me, looking right in my eyes.

"Then he doesn't need to know. He doesn't even need to know that I told Cian him and I are mates." I shrug my shoulders, hoping I look at least half as terrified as I actually feel about having to face Stace alone. I just need this to work. "We trick him...It will work."