TWO

Word Count: 1858

Pulling against the tight confines of my newly appointed uniform, I follow behind a girl I only just met who apparently works here.

"You have this aisle. All you have to do is make sure no one gets out, or screams, or troubles any other patients. Every now and again you can bring them food," she informs me, pausing at the intersection of the aisle. On one side, it's a normal looking sight of treatment rooms holding patients, however on the other, it's the same strange hallway with dimly lit cells. I shiver, not being able to see past the darkness at whoever dwells down there.

Glancing back at Renna, the overly friendly girl who informed me quickly that she works here almost full time, and will likely be one of the only other workers that I'll see, seeing that our aisles are relatively close together. I don't mind so much, she seems kind, and in reality, I'm just here to make enough money to have some independence.

"How many are down there?" I ask nervously, staring into the darkness, the silver bars appearing more vividly as my vision starts to adjust.

I haven't had any experience with magic purposefully, so being this close to many of those who may not wield it, but have been in contact with it is terrifying. This makes me grateful for being a mortal, not having to worry about ever being cast into a place like this, hidden so outsiders don't have any idea it exists.

"Thirteen cells, with nine of them being full," Renna informs me promptly, her white teeth gleaming under the artificial lighting, close in colour to the pale walls and slick flooring. I wonder if I'll ever see her in normal daylight. In here, her blue eyes are a dark, sultry shade, her brunette locks dead straight and light in colour.

"Do you know what any of them are like?" I ask softly, not wanting to speak too loud and at risk of any of them hearing me. My job shouldn't be too invasive, but I can't help my curiosity.

"The patients? They are all relatively the same," she remarks with a bored shrug, leaning her shoulder against the wall. This uniform is far more flattering on her, consisting of dark jeans and a tight shirt which sits underneath a covering we are meant to wear around patients. It's sad, really. "They all have magic related injuries that completely fried their brains."

Sighing through my nose, I ignore the chill in my blood. "That's horrible."

"All except one, right at the end," she muses, pointing into the endless abyss of darkness. I frown, not realising they took anyone else, considering this underground facility is purely for monitoring those with magical injuries, not anything else that's typically mortal.

"Who's in there?" I ask nervously.

"It's a very strange case. One day, Cian, the pure-blood Sin just walked straight in here and admitted himself. He's never requested to leave since," she tells me simply, pushing off the wall to motion for me to follow her. I hesitate, looking back down the hallway, suddenly unsure of whether I want to see and know more, or if I want to flee from here.

I know very little of the immortals who are personifications of each sin and virtue, as mortal schools don't openly like to teach anything about it, especially about the sins. Yet I know enough to be scared, alongside all the horror stories I was told growing up. All I know is that I should be frightened.

Anxiously, I follow Renna away from that dark hallway where Cian dwells. "Wait, why?"

"He wouldn't say. In fact, he hasn't said a word since he arrived," she admits, raising an eyebrow at me, daring me to ask more, already knowing she has lured me in. This is a story she likely shares with all those newly employed here. "Not to mention he has been here for three years. Not a single word out of his mouth.