Going Home

(Image not mine)

Dearest Lucy,

It's been weeks since I've left my house. It seems every time I leave, something bad happens. First, I go out to fetch some groceries and nearly get killed by a Death Eater. Don't worry, I took care of him. Then, my father and I took a stroll around our neighborhood park and we had to defend ourselves from a sudden fire. No doubt magic, it took ages to put out. Since then, I refrained from leaving my house in order to keep both me and my family safe.

I've tried so many times to reach you and the Order, but it seems each time I do, my owls get intercepted. They come back days later looking ruffled and without any letters. I've thought of contacting you with floo powder, but I don't even know what fireplace to address it to. I suspect the same has happened to you.

This is why I am trying to contact you now through an underground network that I've recently discovered. I'm not sure it'll work, but I pray this reaches you. If it does, send a letter back with the house-elf who delivered it.

I hope to hear back on how you and the others are doing. I thought it would be too risky to contact Ed for fear he would be discovered. I hope he's not doing anything too dangerous. And you too, I know you can get yourself into trouble.

Lots of love,

Y/n L/n

I leaned back in my chair, my hand aching from writing so much. I shook it out before folding the letter up and sealing it with some wax. Standing up, I walked out of my room to the kitchen where my father was making conversation with an overwhelmed house-elf. I smiled apologetically before handing the house-elf the letter.

"Please deliver this to the address," I said, "Thank you for your help."

"Of course, miss," the house-elf squeaked, hopping down from the chair, "I'd be delighted to receive any more jobs in the future. Good day, miss."

With a puff of sparkling smoke, he disappeared. It was extremely lucky that I found a house-elf willing to take jobs outside of its master's family. Even luckier that he agreed to deliver a letter in a time like this. It was a dangerous job.

"Well, he was not the best conversationalist," my father stood up to put his dishes in the sink.

"I don't think most house-elves are accustomed to being treated as guests," I said pointedly before spinning on my heel and walking back the way I came. "I'll be in my bedroom!"

He gave a grunt as some sort of acknowledgment. As soon as I made it to my room, I gently shut the door behind me and fell on my bed. It was times like these that I felt so utterly lonely. All of my friends lived nowhere near me, and the only time I would get to see them was at Hogwarts. Not to mention, I hadn't received a single letter over the entire break. And there were only five more days left!

I sat up and looked around my room. Even though it was mine, I didn't feel at home in it. I belonged amongst the stone corridors of Hogwarts. I was supposed to be lying under the blue and silver canopy of the Ravenclaw dorm ceiling. I should be sitting at a giant table, surrounded by my friends as we enjoyed the latest meal. Instead, I was here.

There was a sudden pop as the house-elf reappeared in my room, earning a piercing scream from me. He hurriedly and rather frantically calmed me down before proudly presenting a letter. My eyes went wide and I looked back at him in surprise, "How did you do it so quickly?"

"It's all because of the young lady," he explained, handing me the letter, "She wrote so quickly I was sure the quill would break in her grasp."

"Lucy?" I questioned in disbelief, "I've only seen her write so fast in order to finish a potions essay."