Professor Slughorn

(Image not mine)

The train ride was abnormally peaceful. It was a nice break from the tense atmosphere that had been there all summer. I was finally on my way to Hogwarts with my friends and everything was okay.

Most of the ride, the three of us would chat about random things. Sometimes, our friends from other compartments would join us for a bit. When the talking eased into a comfortable silence, I would read the latest copy of the Daily Prophet while Edmund slept on my lap and Lucy practiced some charms. She was getting pretty good at them and was even able to summon a full-body Patronus purely for entertainment.

The hours passed by comfortably and before we knew it, we had arrived. The train screeched to a stop, its passengers clamoring excitedly by the doors, eager to get off. I shut my book and put it away before nudging Edmund awake. He groaned in disappointment before sitting up to stretch.

Standing up, I helped Lucy grab our carry-on bags from the overhead shelf as we waited for Edmund to wake up. Lucy had to clap loudly a couple of times to keep him awake. Eventually, we made it out of the compartment in one piece and dove into the line of people waiting to get out.

After a few minutes, we stepped out into the evening air. It was already dark and you could see the many stars through the trees. I took a deep breath, happy to be back in the unpolluted air of the Hogwarts grounds. That breath was quickly sucked back in when a few Ministry officials demanded that we empty all of our pockets. They even searched through my book. I wonder what that was all about.

Once they let us pass, we continued past the stacks of trunks. Most people had already passed since the inspectors were insistent that Lucy leave every bit of food from the train here, much to her displeasure. Now, we walked down the gravel path without a single box of sweets.

"Can you still see them?" Lucy suddenly asked, trying to focus on something in the distance.

Edmund and I followed her gaze to the carriages on the path ahead of us. Each one was pulled by two Thestrals. I smiled with a mixture of awe and sadness. Edmund nodded, leading the way towards them, "Definitely still there,"

"Huh," there was a hint of jealousy in Lucy's voice.

We selected a carriage at random before Edmund led the way inside. There were already three people in there, and I didn't like who it was.

"Pevensie," Draco greeted Edmund with a sly grin, not noticing Lucy or me behind him. "You just missed Potter's horrid face. I kicked his nose in. The bastard deserved it for spying on me."

"And you didn't tell me before?" Edmund feigned being hurt, "You know I wouldn't have wanted to miss that."

"If it weren't for your obnoxious hiding skills, I would've," Draco jeered, leaning back comfortably between Blaise Zabini and Pansy Parkinson. "Where were you anyway?"

"Trying to lose these two," Edmund turned his body slightly to gesture to Lucy and me, still standing on the ground. "Wouldn't stop chasing after me. Especially that one, she keeps insisting we're together." He turned back to Draco, "You of all people would know how much of a nuisance fangirls can be."

Draco didn't suspect a thing and sneered at Lucy and me as though we were humorously pitiful, "Scram before you regret anything. A blood traitor and a piece of filth have no right to stand near me."

As angry as we were, both Lucy and I knew we couldn't afford to mess this up. I mustered up the best 'desperate lover' face I could, looking at Edmund, "This isn't you. Why do you side with them? Do you even care about me anymore?"

Edmund rolled his eyes and leaned towards me from the carriage. A perfect copy of Malfoy's glare was carved into his features, "How many times do I have to tell you? You are nothing but a toy. I enjoyed the entertainment you supplied for a short while, but now you serve no use to me. Leave. Both of you."