One Year Reunion

(Image not mine)

"This is ridiculous," I stared open-mouthed at the scene in front of me.

The Pevensie manor ballroom had been transformed in preparation for the reunion ball that Peter was holding tonight. Every surface had been cleaned to gleaming perfection and the tall drapes had been washed and ironed to silky smoothness. House-elves and maids were working on lighting the hundreds of candles on the glass chandeliers as the cooks set up tables of refreshments.

Susan stood next to me, directing the group of musicians that had just entered to a raised platform in one corner of the room. She was already dressed in a deep purple evening gown, ready to start greeting guests when they started arriving in a few hours.

"It has to be perfect," Susan said, more to herself than to me, "It's the first time we'll see everyone from Hogwarts since the war."

"I'm sure it'll be great," I tried to sound reassuring, plucking a cream puff from the tray of a cook passing by.

Susan turned to face me, chewing her lip in worry, "Could you check on the state of the garden? I haven't made sure if the gardeners did a decent job."

I nodded, hurrying out one of the many tall sets of doors of the ballroom and out onto the balcony that lead down to the gardens. It was growing dark and the lanterns were just coming on, lighting up the flowery bushes. The only flowers that I really recognized were the silver ones that I saw last time.

My unprofessional eye thought everything looked perfect, but apparently, Edmund didn't feel the same. He stood alone in the dark, a pair of hedge clippers in his hand as he carefully trimmed a bush.

I snuck up behind him, careful not to make a sound. As he took a step back to admire his handiwork, he saw me out of the corner of his eye and nearly jumped out of his socks.

"Merlin's beard, Y/n!" He placed a hand on his heart as if to steady it, "Do you have to sneak up on me like that?"

"Yes," I laughed, "What are you doing out here?"

"Fixing up a few things before the guests arrive," he said, holding up a few tiny leaves that he had clipped off, "I figured that since it's my garden, I should be the one making sure everything is perfect."

That suddenly reminded me of something, "Ed, you know those silver flowers over there?"He glanced at them, "Yeah? What about them?"

"Were you the one who put them in a vase next to my bed all those years ago?"

A bright red blush stood out on his cheeks, even in the dark. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "Yeah... I did. Looking back at it now, it was a pretty weird thing to do."

I smiled and shook my head, "Not at all. I think it's sweet."

A small smile graced his lips and he linked his arm in mine before starting to walk back towards the manor, "Come on love. We've got guests to greet."

For some reason, those words mixed with the fact that we were walking arm in arm alone in his garden made me think I had suddenly been transported to the future. I imagined just for a moment that the cheap rings on our fingers were real and the guests that we were greeting were arriving at a house all our own. It was a nice thought.

—-

After changing into my evening dress and finishing up my hair, I slipped on the most comfortable heels I owned and hurried back to the foyer. Peter and Susan were standing next to each other beside the grand open doors, eyes peering down the dark path where our guests were about to arrive. Lucy stood on the opposite side- or rather bounced on the balls of her feet. It was obvious how excited she was to see everyone again.