The End of It All

(Image not mine)

Just as I thought everything would be okay, things took a turn. It was only a few minutes after we entered the Great Hall when Fred was brought in on a stretcher. Everyone stilled, horrified by what they saw.

The heart-wrenching cries that escaped his family's lips when they saw his lifeless body brought tears to my eyes. The Weasleys crowded around him, holding each other in an attempt to find comfort. Suddenly I felt horrible for having a happy reunion when they lost someone so important to them.

Ron hurried past us, seeing Fred for the first time. I watched sadly as he wrapped his arms around George, both of them crying. I couldn't imagine what George was feeling right now.

I decided to part from our group to slowly walk around the room. I took in every single one of the faces of the people who were killed and low lay still in rows. My heart ached when I saw Tonks and Remus lying next to each other, their hands only centimeters apart.

With tears silently rolling down my cheeks, I bent down to gently join their hands. It was the least that I could do. They didn't deserve to die just when they had found happiness with each other. Just when they had a son.

A hand rested on my shoulder and I looked up to see Edmund staring sadly down at them. I turned back around, realizing that it so easily could've been us. In a whisper, I said, "They had so much time ahead of them. What about their son?"

He didn't say anything and only bent down next to me, reaching out to wave his wand in between them, creating a small bundle of flowers. I leaned into him, crying my best to hold it together. Even though I was devastated that they were gone, I couldn't help but think about how easily Edmund and I could be in that situation.

Edmund suddenly turned around, looking at something over my shoulder, "Harry."

Surprised, I turned around too to see Harry standing behind us, staring at Remus and Tonks with great misery. He nodded towards Edmund and me, not even fully registering that Edmund had just returned. He never looked at us.

Without a word, he turned away and began walking back towards the doors of the Great Hall, leaving without sparing a glance in anyone's direction. Edmund stood up, watching Harry leave, "What do you think he's doing?"

"I don't know," I said, "But I don't think we should intervene."

He nodded, offering me his hand so that he could pull me up. I took it before following him to the tables where the people who weren't being tended to were sitting together. Silently, I sat next to Lucy. Old tears left marks on her face, making her look even more tired than she already was.

Below us, Professor Trelawney mumbled a few words for those who had passed, stroking their hair comfortingly as she did so. Once she was done, she would cover their body with a sheet, laying them to rest.

An idea popped into my head while I was watching her. Standing up, I walked towards her, kneeling beside the person she was currently tending to. I coughed lightly to get her attention, "Excuse me, Professor, but I was wondering if you could answer a question of mine."

She looked at me with wide, curious eyes, "What is it dear? I can't promise I'll have an answer, but please, ask away."

"Has anyone ever had dreams of events in the past or future before?" I asked.

She looked up, thinking quietly. Suddenly, she jumped a little and looked back at me, "Well, yes. It's very uncommon, but the few wizards and witches who are blessed with a natural connection to the strings of the universe can catch glimpses of time."

"Do these dreams occur at random times?"

"I don't know. As it is a very uncommon ability, it is not often recorded. I believe there were only two people in history who ever underwent studies for it. The funny thing is, the universe works in very peculiar ways. Everything always happens for a reason, but at the same time, nothing ever does."