The Cabin

(Image not mine)

I hadn't been to the sea since I was a child. The salty air and cold winds were eerily familiar but an entirely new experience at the same time. The sand wasn't as soft as I remembered, but rather full of tiny little stones that had grown smooth after waves repeatedly washed against them. The water was freezing but I dipped my toes in nonetheless, grateful for the peace of the ocean.

I closed my eyes as I stood ankle-deep in the winter sea. My hair and clothes whipped around in the wind, flapping like the wings of a bird. I felt a sense of freedom that I hadn't experienced in a very long time.

A distant voice called my name, beckoning me back towards the sand. I smiled a little, opening my eyes to take in the sight in front of me once more before turning around. A small wooden cabin sat atop a small hill at the edge of the sand, its chimney releasing a line of smoke that smelled suspiciously like fresh food.

I trudged through the sand and the tall grass until I stood on the porch of the cabin, wiping off my feet before stepping through the door. I was welcomed with the sight of my boyfriend setting two mismatched cups of tea on the small table by the window overlooking the sea.

Edmund smiled at me as I entered, "I had begun to think you were swept away by the waves."

"I had forgotten what the water felt like," I admitted, helping him dish up our breakfast, "I never thought it would be so cold."

"It's the sea, love," he chuckled, placing his plate on the table before retrieving our silverware, "Did you expect it to be warm?"

"Warmer," I scoffed.

He rolled his eyes as he sat down, taking a sip of his warm tea before digging into his food. When we arrived at the cabin last night and prepared dinner together, we both agreed that he was the better cook. I think that's why he told me to enjoy the beach this morning while he made us breakfast.

As we ate, my eyes drifted towards his forearm where it rested on the table. A black mark was etched into his skin, a constant reminder of what lay just behind us. Even with the battle over and Voldemort gone, his loyal followers were still out there, attacking us when they had the chance. Many of them were still targeting Edmund for his disloyalty, putting both of our lives in danger.

"What is it?" He asked, noticing I had gone quiet.

I glanced up at his face before reaching out to gently take his arm, grazing my fingers over the Dark Mark, "Did it hurt?"

He hesitated, seeming to debate whether or not he wanted to recall those memories. He never spoke about his time living as a spy in Voldemort's army. I suspected they weren't the fondest of memories. Eventually, he answered quietly, "Yes, but it was tolerable."

I moved my hands to his, looking up to meet his guarded eyes. I held his gaze firmly, "You're so strong."

He grew visibly shocked. He glanced at the mark on his arm before looking back at me, his eyes holding so much pain and doubt that it hurt me. I knew then that there was a lot he wasn't telling me. But instead of prying, I only held onto him, reassuring him that I wasn't leaving.

He seemed to understand and held both of my hands together in his, raising them to kiss them lightly. He didn't look back up at me as he said, "I'm not quite ready to talk about it. All I want right now is to forget the rest of the world and be with you."

I smiled gratefully, "When you're ready, I'll be waiting."

He looked back up at me, absolute adoration in his eyes, "Thank you."

I leaned forward to place a gentle kiss on his forehead, "Always."

---

Today was our sixth day of vacation at the cabin. Edmund and I had gotten fairly used to the quiet life. We spent our days tending to our little garden, swimming in the water, reading, and trying out new hobbies. He had gotten very good at painting and would often ask me to stop moving as I did something as mundane as the dishes. He would hang the tiny paintings of me doing random things on the walls, calling it his gallery.