Becoming an Auror

(Image not mine)

Two weeks had passed since I had begun studying to become an Auror. With the house back in its original state, there was nothing keeping me from heading to the Ministry today. And that's exactly what I was doing.

It was nice being back in the heart of London. Even if I didn't get to see the most beautiful places on my way to the Ministry's visitor's entrance, I still enjoyed the stroll. As I neared my destination, I grew disappointed that that stroll had ended. Regardless, I stepped into the red phone booth, making sure there were no muggles nearby before entering the correct code into the keypad.

A moment later, the floor of the booth began to sink like an elevator. It descended beneath the street before emerging into an open hall full of witches and wizards hurrying about. I hadn't seen the Ministry in a long while, so this all felt odd. It didn't help that the last time I was here, I got my first glimpse of Voldemort.

Once the phone booth had settled onto the floor, I opened the door and stepped out, making sure to match the speed of the people around me so as not to get overrun. I passed through security before making my way towards the elevators on the other side of the hall. I barely made it inside of one before the doors closed.

It took a few minutes before I reached the right level and was able to leave the cramped elevator. Grateful for the space, I walked quickly down the wide corridor. At the end of it, a gold door stood alone with a placard above it reading; "Minister of Magic".

I stopped in front of it to collect myself before knocking on the door. A voice on the other side told me to come in.

As soon as I cracked open the door, Kingsley Shacklebolt stood from his desk with a welcoming smile. His normal blue and purple robes remained the same, almost as if he wasn't the Minister at all. He swept them aside in order to reach out and shake my hand firmly, "Y/n L/n, you look well."

"So do you," I smiled, taking a seat in the chair opposite of him, "Is the position of Minister of Magic treating you well?"'

"Well enough," he laughed lightly, "I was happy to hear that an old friend from the Order wanted to see me. It's a nice change from all of the paperwork. So, what can I help you with?"

"I'd like to become an Auror, and I heard that a certain someone was allowing all of-age participants of the battle to join immediately." I got straight to the point.

He leaned back in his chair, "I made that rule knowing that there were going to be people like you still searching for peace. I'm not even a bit surprised that you're one of the first to take advantage of it."

Kingsley pushed his chair back to cross the room to a filing cabinet. Quietly, he shuffled through it before extracting a yellow folder of papers. Returning to his desk, he dropped the folder in front of me, "I'm a very suspicious person, so I have an organized file on each powerful witch or wizard I have met. This is yours. Take a look."

Raising an eyebrow, I carefully opened the folder. My own face stared back at me from the top left corner of the top paper. My basic information was included there as well. Curious, I flipped through the rest of the folder. The contents ranged from my early experiments to my latest successes, including descriptions of my spell work and other magical abilities.

On the very last page, in bright red ink, were the words; "Great potential. Auror."

I looked up at him, "You predicted my career?"

He shrugged, "I've done it before for many people."

"Impressive,"

He smiled, taking back the folder to tuck it away, "Now, I believe you and I are on the same page. You were meant to be an Auror. But are you ready?"