A Turn of The Tides

(Image not mine)

The entire room was a flurry of panicked students trying to change into our uniforms and make it back to our common rooms in time to be led down to the Great Hall. Snape had called for a mandatory meeting for students of all ages. Death Eaters would be at our common rooms in minutes to escort us in our military-like formation.

Once I had my uniform on, I ran straight for the Ravenclaw tower with a couple of my friends. We made it inside maybe thirty seconds before Alecto Carrow practically knocked down our door. She barked orders at us, forcing us into an organized group.

She led us down the tower, making sure we kept silent until we reached the Great Hall. The tables had disappeared so that all of the students could stand in their place. I took my spot at the back of the room with the other seventh years, waiting with my head down for Snape.

I knew that Harry was only a few feet away, hidden in the crowd. Hermione and Ron were waiting in the Room of Requirement to let Remus and anyone else who had heard our broadcast into the castle. I could only hope they would get here in time.

The doors suddenly banged open and Snape walked through, his robes billowing behind him. He stopped at the front of the room where Dumbledore's podium once stood turned to face us, his expression stony and cold. Flanked menacingly by the two Carrows, he began to speak, "Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you at this hour. It's come to my attention that, earlier this evening... Harry Potter was sighted in Hogsmeade."

Students began to whisper among themselves, much to Snape's annoyance, "Now... should anyone... student or staff, attempt to aid Mr. Potter... they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore... any person found to have knowledge of these events... who fails to come forward... will be treated as... equally guilty."

Everyone froze, not daring to breathe a word. Snape began to stalk down the aisle between the groups of students, "Now, then. If anyone here has any knowledge of Mr. Potter's movements this evening... I invite them to step forward... now."

Suspense was heavy in the air as the room remained silent. That is until someone's footsteps broke that silence. Everyone gasped in surprise as Harry stepped out of the rows of students and into the aisle. He glared at Snape, "It seems, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster. And I'm afraid it's quite extensive."

I smiled as the great wooden doors opened, revealing just the people I wanted to see. Remus and Kinglsey led the members of the Order and their friends into the room, earning murderous glares from the Death Eaters. Peter and Susan were there too, standing right next to Kinglsey.

"How dare you stand where he stood?" Harry seethed, glaring at Snape, "Tell them how it happened that night! Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him! Tell them!"

Snape unsheathed his wand and pointed it at him. Within a second, McGonagall was standing protectively in front of Harry, her wand pointed back at the man. Students gasped and backed away towards the walls, not daring to come between two of the greatest wizards in the castle.

Snape hesitated, giving McGonagall the chance to shoot a stream of fire straight at him. He deflected it but was pushed back. McGonagall kept advancing on him, shooting fireball after fireball until he was forced to deflect them onto the Carrows, immobilizing them. Eventually, Snape frantically turned into a column of black smoke and broke through the stained glass window behind him.

"Coward!" McGonagall shouted after him.

Cheers and applause ripped through the crowd as she turned to set the torches around the room ablaze, banishing the darkness. Students hugged one another, ecstatic to finally be free of Snape's tyrant rule. I ran to go hug Lucy, the two of us jumping excitedly.