"Really."

(Image not mine)

"He's what?!" I hissed, turning to the dying embers in the makeshift fire beside me.

"He wouldn't listen to a word we said," Ron's head tried to hush me from where it appeared in the flames, "As soon as we said you were being held captive, he rushed off. Wouldn't take a hint."

I glanced up at the bolted wooden door on the other side of the cold stone room. A guard stood on the other side and if I were too loud he would know something was wrong right away.

Turning back to Ron's head, I glared at him fiercely, "You'd better find him and explain things before he gets all of us in trouble."

"You know we can't tell anyone anything about this mission!" Ron tried, "Besides, he's probably already almost there."

I cursed quietly, "Fine, but whatever you do- don't let Robards find out. We'll lose our jobs if he does."

"Right, good luck," Ron whispered as the fire began to sputter out, "Oh, and try to finish the mission before lover boy ruins three months of hard work."

I reached forward to swipe my bound hands through the flames, "Goodbye, Ronald."

It was dark once again in the cold room. Quietly, I shuffled my bound legs under my body to shimmy up the wall into a standing position. Once I was fully upright, I brushed my hands across the stone bricks, trying to find the small notch that I had made on one of my earlier scouting missions.

Once I had found it, I pressed the small rock underneath it. The stone dislodged easily and fell to the ground, making a sound that echoed around the chamber. I cringed, freezing and glancing at the door. It didn't open.

Running out of time and growing desperate, I fumbled to stick my hand in the narrow opening that the stone revealed. My fingers barely managed to pinch the end of a long piece of wood inside before carefully dragging it out.

"Come on," I whispered, trying to angle my wand at the magical robes binding my wrists. If I got the aim wrong, I might end up slicing my hand off.

Muttering the charm that I had practiced only yesterday, I felt the bonds loosen before fully falling off. Grinning, I moved to remove the bonds from my feet.

A dull clang caught my attention. It was barely audible, but it was easily recognizable. The sound of a grand gate slamming open multiple levels above me.

"Merlin's beard, Ed," I sighed.

The metal door to the chamber opened to reveal two guards. The one in front started to say something, "We're moving. Get up-"

I knocked him out. The man behind him looked shocked but didn't move. I offered an apologetic smile before flicking my wand once again and freezing him in place.

Squeezing past him and into the slightly lighter corridor, I swiveled to look in both directions. There were no guards, but also no defining features that might point me in the direction of the nearest staircase. A sign would've been helpful.

There was another dull thunk. This time, it was the sound of the main doors opening abruptly. And even though that meant Ed was getting dangerously close to ruining this mission, it also pointed me in the right direction. The sound echoed down the right side of the corridor, which meant that's where the stairs were.

I started sprinting in that direction, not caring anymore about how much sound I made.

Normally, I wouldn't care this much about a mission and would've allowed Ed to wreak a little bit of havoc, but this one was important. Three months ago, we had gotten word that a select few devoted Voldemort followers and other dark wizards were planning to create a second coming of the dark lord. They were following in his footsteps and helping one powerful wizard to split his soul into multiple pieces.