Fred's Funeral

(Image not mine)

I stood in front of the old mirror in Ginny's room, inspecting my appearance with scrutinizing eyes. It was the first time I had really seen myself in proper lighting since the war. There were no mirrors in the cabin and I was a bit too preoccupied to look at myself at the manor.

I realized just how similar I looked to the rest of the group. There was a darkness to my eyes that even I was worried about. My skin appeared dull and my hair didn't have its usual life to it. Still, I looked fairly decent after cleaning up a bit.

I wore all black today; from the simple dress to the classic pumps. I wasn't sure how well I would be able to walk in heels on the grassy field, but I would try. I had to be strong in all senses today. For everyone.

Taking a breath, I opened the door and descended into the living room where almost half of the group was already waiting.

Edmund's eyes met mine from where he stood by the door. Dean, Seamus, and Neville all stood with him, each of them in black dress shirts and pants. As soon as they saw Edmund staring at me, the rest of the boys turned to look at me expectantly.

Confused, I walked up to them, "What?"

Edmund pulled out an envelope from his pocket, "This arrived a few minutes ago. It's from your father."

I immediately tensed. I had completely forgotten to tell him where I was. I was supposed to return from the cabin trip yesterday.

Bracing myself, I took the envelope from him and ripped the seal, taking out the paper inside. The four boys watched me curiously as I read it. It took longer than expected to read my father's messy handwriting, but eventually, I got through the entire letter. I sighed, folding it back up, "He's worried sick. I forgot to tell him where I was going. He said to return as soon as I get this letter."

"What are you going to do?" Neville questioned.

"I'm not leaving before the funeral," I set my jaw, "I'll just write back to him and explain, then leave tonight."

"I'll grab you some parchment," Edmund said, turning around to rummage through his trunk.

When he came back, I quickly scribbled down a response before sending it back with the owl that had delivered it. I hope he gets it soon, otherwise, he'll drive himself mad with worry.

"Oi, Y/n," Seamus tapped my shoulder once I had sent the owl away, "It's time. Everyone's already outside."

"Alright," I put the quill away before walking with him out of the front door. A long way away, the entire group was standing at the top of a small hill where a large wooden box sat next to a deep hole.

I hesitated upon seeing it. Seamus noticed, giving me a look of understanding, "Your first funeral?"

I nodded, "Is it that obvious?"

"Yeah," he said plainly, picking up the pace a little, "This is my fourth."

My eyes widened, "All of them... after the war?"

He nodded, "I knew a lot of people who were good to a fault."

"I'm sorry,"

"Don't be," he shook his head, "They wouldn't be sorry for giving up their lives if it meant saving countless others. I've made my peace with it."

I stared at the ground as we walked, considering his words. I knew Fred wouldn't have gone into the war without knowing he could die. He made the choice to help others. But that didn't mean he deserved to die.

"Hello, Y/n."

My head whipped up at the familiar delicate voice to find Luna standing before me. She was clad in a black dress adorned with homemade jewelry and other accessories that I didn't know the name of. It was nice to see a bit of normalcy.