A Snowy Surprise

(Image not mine)

Instead of resting on my day off from Auror work, I somehow found myself halfway through an intense quidditch match in the dead of winter.

Now, there was no way I could've anticipated this. Edmund had shown up at my doorstep first thing in the morning rather unexpectedly, a tired-looking Draco in tow. He had hastily greeted my father and handed him a box of French cheese (why I don't know) before grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the street.

"What on earth are you doing, Ed?" I shrieked, stumbling through the snow without shoes.

"I know it's your day off and you are supposed to be packing up to move," Edmund smiled, waving his wand to summon my shoes, a coat, and my broom. "But you can't miss this."

"But-" I tried resisting his pull, "I only have two boxes packed!"

"I'll help you when we get back. Draco will too."

"You'd better," I grumbled. Draco looked offended that he had been roped into this compromise.

As soon as I had hastily pulled on my coat and shoes, Edmund raced down the street, clearly expecting Draco and me to follow. I glanced at the blonde boy who looked equally confused and tired.

"What's he on about?" I questioned, gesturing to my excited boyfriend who had already managed to get halfway down the road.

"Not a bloody clue," Draco yawned, not even trying to put effort into moving quickly, "Woke me up at the crack of dawn to bring me here with no word of warning. Just shoved this in my hand and told me to throw on a coat."

I only just noticed that he too carried a broom in one hand. And like mine, his outfit had been hastily put together. He wore a plain white shirt with a fresh tea stain on it, paired with some dark gray dress pants and mismatched shoes. Overtop it all was his usual black winter coat that I recognized from our school days.

"Hurry up!" Ed called, waving us towards the dark alley at the end of the road, "We're late!"

"Late for what, exactly?" I demanded, slipping and sliding on the ice as I hurried to him.

He had already disappeared into the cover of darkness. Draco and I inched forward, careful not to slip on any more ice. I nearly screeched in fright when I felt a strong hand grasp my wrist, its owner invisible in the darkness. Thankfully, I quickly recognized the feeling of cold metal on one of the fingers latched onto my wrist and managed to hold in my scream.

"Right, hold on tight," Edmund advised.

Realizing what was happening, I opened my mouth in horror, "Oh, bloody h-"

—-

I knelt in the snow-covered grass, my head swimming and my stomach turning uncomfortably. Next to me, I could hear Draco stumbling around in a daze, the snow crunching under his feet. It was amazing what apparating with no warning could do to your system.

I felt a warm hand comfortingly rest on my back, "Sorry, love. I should've given you more warning. I know how much you hate apparating."

Pushing myself from the ground, I dusted the snow off my clothes and patted his shoulder before finally looking around.

There was a familiar air about the place. We were about halfway up a grassy hill in the countryside, snow blanketing every blade of grass as far as the eye could see. Below us, I could just barely make out the camouflaged roof of a house. The only thing that gave it away was a trail of smoke streaming from the stone chimney at the center.