Horcruxes

(Image not mine)

One week ago, I claimed the third hammock from the ground on the far left side of the Room of Requirement, right next to the crackling fireplace. It served as my little sanctuary in the crazy room. While many of the others spent their time huddled on the floor in circles or smuggling in their trunks, I spent mine up in the hammock.

It was a cozy little thing. There were a few blankets and a pillow, nothing more since the fireplace supplied more than enough warmth. Hanging from the hammock above me was a bag full of books. I would sift through those pages every night like a ritual.

Sighing, I laid the book in my hands on my chest. It was the same one that had the blue fabric in it when I first began reading. Even if I knew Edmund had sent these books for a reason, I couldn't help but begin to think that my attempts at revealing their secrets were futile. There was nothing.

I furrowed my eyebrows in determination and reached to pick up the book again, freezing when something caught my eye. A tiny sliver of paper was shoved between the binding and the pages of the book, perfectly hidden. I gasped and immediately tugged the folded piece of paper out, dropping the book on my legs and sitting up.

The paper was folded many times, so by the time I had completely unfolded it, it was a standard letter size. Edmund's handwriting was clear as day, his messy scribbles a miracle in my eyes. I shook excitedly as I smoothed out the paper, beginning to read.

My dear Y/n,

I don't know if you will ever find these letters, but I pray you will. I know you are smart enough to recognize that this book is more important than the others. I can only hope that you won't let go of that idea until you find this.

Hiding letters in these books was the only way I could contact you without putting you or the others in danger. There is information in the other letters that will greatly affect the course of history, should you find them in time. I know it's a lot of responsibility, but I also know that you are one of the strongest people I know.

But I will leave that for the other letters. For now, I want to only speak to you.

My many months away from you have taught me a valuable lesson. I have learned that without you here by my side, I feel incomplete. Nothing can fill that emptiness that haunts me. Nothing but you, Y/n. It was bad enough imagining my life without you, but now that I'm living it it's excruciating.

This lesson is one I intend to remember. I won't let you slip out of my grasp ever again. Once this war ends, if we're still alive, I'll come back to you and we'll live the life we were meant to have. Through the hardships of it all, I want to be by your side, and you by mine. If you'll have me.

You alone hold my heart. Remember that as this war rages on. I will think of you, as I always do, to keep afloat in this dark place. Hopefully, someday soon, we will see each other again.

Until then, keep your head high and keep fighting. I'll be right there beside you.

I love you entirely,

Edmund

I tried my best not to sob too loudly, not wanting to explain myself to the others. None of them trusted Edmund anymore, save for Lucy. It wouldn't end well if they knew I was still in love with him and still in contact.

I sighed, wiping the tears away and laying back down, pressing the paper to my chest. It was strangely comforting to know that he felt the same way I did, even if we were both suffering. But the way he worded it struck a chord in me. It felt like he was declaring something bigger.