The Battle of Hogwarts

(Image not mine)(sorry for the low quality)

Lucy took my hand as we watched the spells fall. All at once, they hit the dome, shaking the castle and creating glowing cracks in our shield. A few pieces of the magical barrier floated down like burning paper, disappearing before they hit the ground.

"I never thought a war could be so beautiful," I whispered.

"It's ironic, isn't it?" Lucy chuckled humorlessly.

I stared into the darkness on the other side of the bridge where hundreds of Death Eaters stood, "Ed's on the other side of that bridge. We're so close to having him back. Having everything back. We can't lose hope now."

She said nothing and only stared into the abyss. I turned to her, "We're making it out of this alive, okay?"

She nodded sadly, "We can't say the same for everyone, though."

I nodded, "But we can try to save as many people as possible."

She set her jaw, "You're right. We've got a job to do."

I squeezed her hand comfortingly before letting go. Just as I did, a bright light hit the dome, disintegrating it before our eyes. I groaned, "Are you kidding me?"

Only a few seconds later, the wooden bridge on the other side of the castle exploded loudly. Lucy looked back at it and said, "Boom,"

"Boom," I agreed.

There was a series of repetitive booms on the other side of the bridge and Death Eaters and giants began to make their way through the lines of stone soldiers. I gripped my wand tightly, waiting for our opponents to get in range.

I didn't have to wait long as the Death Eaters were rather impatient and used their ability to turn into smoke as a way to get across the bridge faster. As the columns of black smoke shot towards us, I knocked as many as I could out of the sky with a stunning spell. Still, a few got past us and set the courtyard ablaze.

"I'll get them inside!" Lucy shouted over the commotion, referring to the students still in the courtyard, "You handle these guys!"

I didn't have time to answer her since I was too busy deflecting killing spells. There were maybe five Death Eaters in the courtyard, all of them wreaking havoc. Angry at them for destroying the place that I called home, I showed them no mercy. I shot spell after spell whilst protecting the fleeing students. But every time I knocked one down, another appeared.

"Get inside!" McGonagall shouted at me from the doors, "Take cover!"

Knowing I would be overrun if I stayed out there, I retreated into the castle, still blocking spells. Lucy was by my side once again. She used aquamenti to douse the fires and prevent the arches from collapsing. Once the last few people were inside, McGonagall transfigured the stone columns into lions and set them loose upon the Death Eaters.

"Isn't that a bit barbaric?" Lucy questioned, watching the lions.

"War is barbaric," McGonagall answered coldly.

The castle shook violently. The professor turned to Lucy and me, "In minutes this place is going to be overrun by Voldemort's army. Now, I wouldn't normally ask students to do this, but these aren't exactly normal circumstances."

"Whatever you need, Professor," I assured her.

She nodded, "You'll be our first line of defense. Retrieve whatever weapons you may need in these few minutes, I will fetch more help. I'm relying on you two to keep Hogwarts standing."

Normally, that much responsibility would terrify me. But the exhilaration of war had put me in such a confident state that it didn't bother me too much. Lucy was the same. She smiled at McGonagall, "We'll make you proud."