15 - Decisions

Newt's POV

Today was the day.

The day I had been waiting for for 3 years, the day everyone had been working towards. The day I'd almost known would come when Tommy arrived. I still couldn't believe the brilliance of his arrival. 

Today was the day we got out.

That was what I thought of when I woke up, before my eyes even opened. I rolled around in my bed to find Tommy, to kiss him awake like I had for thr past few days.

Wait a minute. Where's my bed?

I opened my eyes in shock, finding myself sprawled on the ground. I quickly tensed up, looking around me. What the hell?

As my vision focused, I saw that a few Gladers had poles and spears pointed at me. I grimaced. Turning towards the left, I saw a Glader tying Teresa's hands to a pole, Tommy and Minho already tied. "What the bloody hell is this?" I said, frowning. I tried to get up, but a spear was held in front of my neck. I couldn't move.

A figure slowly walked to the front. I recognised him immediately. Gally. Wasn't he gone a long time ago? "I see that our pathetic excuse of a second in command has finally woken up." He smirked.

"I thought we had seen the last of you," I say through gritted teeth.

"Well you were wrong, shank. I heard that you were going to go out into the Maze."

"We're going to escape."

"Everyone," Gally suddenly turned around, addressing the rest of the Gladers. "This is your choice to make. You heard them. Do you really think that this slinthead-" he pointed to Tommy, "can get you out of here? In the Maze we're safe."

"Not anymore," Teresa said, her face twisted in anger, "the doors aren't closing."

"Exactly. And all these happened when? When this shank showed up." Gally pointed at Tommy again, and I felt an unnatural hatred rise inside me. "So I propose, we send these bunch of crazy shuckfaces out there as a sacrifice. And when the Grievers get what they want, they'll leave us alone. Anyone who wants to join them is welcome to."

The crowd stood in a stunned silence when Gally finished. I narrowed my eyes. I was just beginning to say something when Tommy piped up, quiet all these while.

"Do you want to stay here, waiting for your death, or come with us and possibly live a normal life? This is what you've been hoping for ever since you came here. It's your one opportunity to get out of this place."

I closed my eyes; shuddered. I remembered when I first arrived... It was horrible. Every day was torture, pure absolute terror and dread. I hated it. I still hate this place... I don't know about the others, but though we've all worked to make this a little less terrible for ourselves, it doesn't feel like home to me. We were trapped here. We still are.

~TIMESKIP~

I sighed, watching Gally walk back into the Homestead, his silhouette sad against the golden light of the morning. My eyes swept across the diverse party of Gladers before me. 

"Shouldn't someone give a pep talk or something?" Minho said, putting his hands on his hips.

"Go ahead," I replied, glancing at him.

"Be careful Don't die."

"Great," I said, rolling my eyes, "we're all bloody inspired." I smiled to myself. Why did I expect an actual pep talk from Minho?

Organised, we ran into the Maze, lead by Tommy. Most of the Gladers decided to join our little party after all - though a few stayed behind with Gally. With one last glance at the Glade, I stepped foot into the Maze. 

The morning sun shone down at us, our shadows still long, stretching behind us. The sky seemingly darkened as we turned... We all knew it was our only chance. A life or death situation. The environment was tense and we were tenser - a group of teenagers, enduring way too much for our age.

Once we turned a few corners, we slowed to a walk to accomodate the non-runners. Tommy and I stopped, letting Minho lead the group and the rest to go forward before we fell into step together, bringing up the rear. 

"How's your leg? Are you okay?" Tommy asked, slightly panting. I started, my attention suddenly focusing on my leg. Surprisingly, it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would have. It merely ached a little. 

"It doesn't hurt as much. I think it's getting better," I murmured, frowning. "I've barely noticed it since you got here."

"Sometimes physical hurt deepens by emotional wounds," Tommy said, deep in thought, "I guess when I came it took your mind off your leg, so you got better."

I smiled to myself. "Tommy, you did so much more than that. Thank you." Truely, I felt much better than before Tommy came into my life. I reached for his hand, taking it in mine. His fingers automatically intertwined with mine.

"Newt, you shouldn't be thanking me. I was the one who put you in here."

I shook my head firmly. "No, Tommy. That was the old you. You were tasked to do it. You gave me that note, remember? Even when we barely knew each other, you loved me. People change. It's the now you that matters; the now you that I'm in love with."

I don't even know where that came from honestly. He smiled at me and I almost leaned in to kiss him. Then I remembered that we were in the Maze. He brought our hands up to his mouth and planted a sweet soft kiss on the back of my hand, leaving a permanent tingling feeling travelling up my arm to my heart. 

At that moment I almost told him about my past, that I've been hiding from everyone else. No one knew the whole real story, but if anyone was to ever know, it was Tommy. I even opened my mouth, but a shout from the front of the line made me change my mind.

Everyone stopped walking, and Tommy and I jogged to the front to see what was happening. Minho had his hand out and was peering over a corner. I followed his line of vision and my breathing stopped short.

Because blocking the Griever Hole, in front of the cliff, was not one but almost a dozen Grievers.

"Everyone protect Thomas, Chuck and Teresa; they'll jump in first and enter the shucking code. We can't escape them, we must fight. On the count of three, we charge," Minho shouted. The rest nodded. He'll make a good leader.

"That means we'll be separated. I'm sorry I can't help you, Newt. But please, stay alive. I need you," Tommy said to me. I nodded, gulping. I grasped my machete tighter.

"3."

Tommy squeezed my hand and I squeezed back.

"2."

"See you on the other side," I whispered.

"1."

We charged.

I ran straight towards a Griever, stabbing its fleshy body with a makeshift spear. It clanked and whirred. Dark blood spilled out from where I striked it, but it didn't cease its movements. It's metal arm reached towards me; I jumped away and hacked at it with my machete. I grabbed it using both hands, throwing my spear down, and finally I was able to break it.

This went on for a few minutes. The Griever trying to stab me, me running and dodging the stings. But my energy was depleting.

Finally, and I didn't even know how but the Griever jumped to the side, allowing a passageway between me and the Cliff. I took the chance; I ran, and when I was at the edge I jumped.

There was a moment of weightless flight, my heart in my throat, as the ground beneath me disappeared and time stopped.

Then darkness enveloped me.

A/N: Sorry for the late update again!!! Ugh >< it may just become another update "schedule" again until I have more time... But I don't have school for the next 5 days so yay :) Hopefully I'll have more time to write heh

Thank you to my new followers: olivia_serethiel, EsmeyObrien, LivingLovelyLies, fangirl-23, FiftyShadesOfBae69, and directionduck :)

<3 you guys so shucking much!!

Please vote if you liked this and comment your feedback! <33333