29 - Angels and Demons

No one expects an angel to set the world on fire; but in every angel, there is a silenced demon.

~

Thomas POV

"Newt?" I asked, my voice wavering. 

I felt a hand slap over my mouth, Teresa's hand. "Shhh," she harshly whispered, but he definitely heard me. Newt opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to decide otherwise, wincing.

I gasped as my eyes raked over his body. There were visible bruises and dried blood caked on his face, dark circles outlining his eyes. When his gaze met mine, his eyes were bloodshot. My heart thudded in my chest, each beat sending a fresh wave of pain through me at the sight of my angel so bruised, so injured. I struggled against Teresa's grip to get to him, but she was strong.

His gaze was a pleading one.

"So, Newt, what do you have to say?" A voice travelled from behind him,  a face appearing next. Aris stood beside Newt, the expression on his face one of menace. He stood close. Way too close. 

"I... I know what you've done, Thomas. I've seen it all. You were the one who put us here. You were the one who caused all of this. This is all your fault. How could you do this to me?! I trusted you!" Newt closed his eyes, frowning. 

My heart sank. Every breath I drew in hurt, every swallow, every second. I felt the tense ripping of my heart as his words pounded in my head. No no no, this was all wrong. He couldn't- Newt couldn't. My love. I-

A whimper escaped me, muffled by Teresa's hand. On a normal day, I would have been ashamed for such a sound to have escaped me, but today was not a normal day. Today was anything but.

"No. This is it, Thomas. I can't stand to look at you anymore. You know what you are? A monster. A horrible, disastrous monster. That's what you are. Don't ever look at me again. I hate you!" Tears streamed down Newt's face, washing away streaks of blood.

I hate you.

I hate you.

It was like a final blow to my heart. I all but collapsed, hyperventilating. Not enough substance in the world could fill the empty bloody hole where my heart used to lay, now in tears and pieces. 

But for some reason, I watched on.

Aris smiled, a brilliant mischievous smile that had chills going up my spine. No, not mischievous, I decided, downright evil. "Oh, Newt. Trust me, I know. How could he ever do something to someone like you?" His fingers brushed a strand of Newt's hair, and I froze.

"GET AWAY FROM HIM," I screamed, though all that came out was a strangled cry. I felt Teresa smirk beside me. 

God, I hated her. Hated them both.

And he kissed him.

I flinched, I flinched so hard I swear I would have puked if there was anything in my system. I staggered back against Teresa, clutching at my heart.

No, this couldn't be happening.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of the thoughts penetrating my brain, trying to ignore everything that was happening around me. 

Newt, with someone else.

Newt, with Aris.

I couldn't stand it anymore.

I turned away.

I turned away, willingly letting Teresa drag me out of the godforsaken room, to my next doom - a stone chamber, where she unceremoniously dumped me in a pile of my own tears.