23 - Downhill

Newt's POV

I sat, shuddering, on the ground, until it was time to go. I couldn't believe I had done that. I hit him.

I stared at my hand, still reddish, as if the glare of my eyes could wipe away my actions. 

But he deserved it. He deserved it so much. I trusted him... Why had he done that with Teresa? Did I not mean anything to him? Do I mean anything to anyone?

When we walked, I didn't stay at the back with Tommy. No, I really don't want anything to do with him. Instead I jogged up to Minho, walking beside him. Minho was my best friend; I could always rely on him.

A few minutes; hours passed. Silence. I wallowed in my thoughts and self pity. Thoughts of Tommy found themselves in my head... Telling him my secrets. Kissing. Him holding me, comforting me when I was at my weakest.

Was this a good idea, to break things off with him?

But what if he did ...this again?

"Dude, are you okay?" MInho asked me suddenly. 

"Yeah, why?" Fake it, Newt. Fake it like you've always been doing. You don't need someone else to worry for you.

"You're not walking with Thomas," he stated. 

"Yeah, I'm not. I decided to spend some time with my best friend," I replied, looking straight ahead.

"Newt. What's wrong?" Minho pulled my arm, making me look at him.

Who am I kidding, trying to hide things from him? He knows me.

Just like Tommy.

"He kissed her," I whispered, looking at the ground. The sand swished around my feet, leaving no marks of us ever walking through this barren wasteland. Somewhere in my head, I wondered if there were others in front of us.

Oh, that's right. Group B.

"I'm sorry," Minho said beside me. I nodded.

"But you still love him, don't you?" He added.

I sighed, and admitted that I did, but I still refused to say anything. I felt weak.

"Then go tell him you do," Minho said quietly.

I didn't respond. I didn't tell him that I would feel pathetic if I go crawling back to Tommy. He would probably forgive me, but I wouldn't forgive myself.

Stay strong, Newt.

Even if you aren't.

~

Thomas POV

And just like that, all communication between us was terminated. I shrunk into my own bubble, ignoring everyone unless I absolutely had to talk. I stalked alone from everyone else, my feet sinking into the sand with every step.

There was one point where Aris tried to talk to me in my head. I ignored him.

I hated him. With every fibre of my being. I knew it was my own damn fault for being stupid and telling him about Teresa, but I trusted him. How could he have told Newt?!

With a pang, I realised that that must be what Newt felt. He trusted me; he confided in me. And what had I done? Broken his heart, that's what. And I made it worse by not telling him.

Oh Thomas, you screwed up. You screwed up big time.

~TiMeSkIp~

A day or two passed since that morning.

I tried talking to Newt, but he would just ignore me. So I stopped trying.

I owed him an explanation, and an apology. But how could I give it to him if he wasn't even listening to me?!

Minho talked to me. He told me that Newt and I weren't over yet, I just needed to give Newt more time.

Then, he told me that I shucked up.

Well, thanks.

With absolutely nothing in sight, not even nice scenery, I was left all alone with my thoughts - a scary, scary thing. It reminded me of when I was "punished" back in the Glade, but I had Newt to think about then. Now, whenever my thoughts drift to him, my heart ached.

Finally, a building came into view. Well, it was more of a ruined city than a single building. But just as we hiked towards it, the clouds covered the blinding sky.

Was this our dream come true? Less sun, more shade?

Apparently not, because just as smiles lit up our faces, rain began to pour.

And not just a small drizzle. It was liquid hail. Literally. The raindrops pelted my back like rocks, and it was all we could do to run towards the ruins.

My feet sank in the muddy sand, stumbling and tripping over themselves.

The thunder began; striking the ground centimeters from our faces. I heard screams, but I didn't dare look anywhere but in front of me. I focused my eyes on the ruins, and my ears on the screams. Just to make sure they weren't Newt's.

Finally, we reached the building. Our numbers had dwindled. I saw a dripping wet Newt carrying a slumped over Minho, so I went to help, cringing when I saw Minho's back. He had been struck all right. 

Newt and I supported him in silence. In other circumstances, I would have found Newt hot, all wet. But in other circumstances, he wouldn't be ignoring me either.

Along the way, we met a few cranks, led by a guy named Jorge. They weren't like the cranks that terrorized us; they were more or less normal. As normal as someone in these parts could get.

And so, after slightly terrifying incidents that seemed to draw themselves to us, Jorge led us to get food, probably pitying our starving faces. He introduced us to a nice seeming girl called Brenda, who quite obviously winked at me when she passed me my food. I immediately reached out for Newt's hand, only to remember we weren't together anymore.

I hope she got the message. That moment of my heart tearing itself apart better be worth it.

We were peacefully eating when a loud bang sounded, and a piece of the ceiling fell down on us, separating me from most of the other Gladers.

"They're coming!"

"Who?"

"The cranks."

A/N: Wattpad changed the layout thing again what. Ugh. But my exams ended on Wednesday so that's a plus :D Then my friend and I went to laser tag (SUPER FUN) and watched the Avengers: Age of Ultron :P It was really nice, you should go watch it if you haven't yet!!!!

Oh and recently I also got into watching Dan and Phil and I cannot express how absolutely adorable they are and how much I can relate to Dan like o m f g even my friend who watches them (HELL YEAH to her) says that I can probably relate to him the most.

QOTC: Favorite Wattpad book (AKA recommendations)?

AOTC: Selected series by mander_pander. It's honestly amazing. Basically all her books are amazing <3

So thanks for reading and sorry for the long wait! If you've enjoyed this please consider voting for it :) and comment something too, because I love reading your comments!