11 - Promise Me

Newt's POV:

[A/N: I think I'll be switching to Newt's POV more during these feeling-intense moments since the actual book is kind of already written from Thomas's POV :P]

After that morning, Tommy and I both agreed to try to slim our raging feelings for each other down, since there was obviously way more important things for us and the Gladers to worry about, like the sudden changes threatening our survival. 

I still couldn't wrap my head around the fact that we were basically a couple. At least I assumed we were. It was tough not to hide my obvious affection towards him, and I found my hands itching to ruffle his hair or reach for his hand, but I suppressed the urge, just as I was so used to suppressing my hurt, afraidness and feelings.

But I felt more and more at ease around him. My laughs and smiles were genuine - something only Minho, whom I had known and befriended almost 2 years ago, could draw from me. He and Alby were the only ones who knew half of my troubles; and no one but myself knew the other half. But one day, perhaps, I would tell Tommy. I knew he would accept me for who I am, but I just couldn't bring myself to tell him now. The hurt was still too fresh, too painful.

I cleared my head of my thoughts as I stepped out of the Homestead, where Tommy now slept in Alby's place. Alby was still going through the Changing. However horrified the screams were, I'd trained myself to feel no pity. 

One by one, I informed the Keepers to meet in the afternoon for a Gathering, to discuss Tommy's extremely dangerous yet successful "rescue mission". I still feel my heartbeat quickening every time I think about it, and he has had to remind me many times that it was okay, that all that mattered was that he was alive and well now. 

When I walked past Tommy, he was talking with Chuck, who seemed way more engaged in the converstation than him. I smiled at him good naturedly, waving a little. He waved back, then winked at me. I blushed, the sudden flashbacks of us kissing causing my face to flush with embarrassment. I quickly walked away, turning back just in time to see him fail at biting back a laugh.

I shook my head, smiling. He was so bloody adorable.

Later that day, we all gathered at the Gathering. Upon second thought, I had invited Tommy to come as well, since he was the subject of the conversation. As a second-in-command that I wasn't even sure how I came to be, I had to be there in Alby's place. To be honest, I had no interests for meetings of any sort whatsoever, but this was about my Tommy so it was important. 

My Tommy. It felt good to call him that.

Mine.

I snapped back to reality when Minho closed the door. I looked around, realising that everyone had gathered and was staring at me. I cleared my throat and began to speak, "In place of our leader, sick in bed, I declare this Gathering begun." I rolled my eyes. After two years of sitting in Gatherings, I still thought this was bloody stupid, but a tradition's a tradition. "As you all know, the last few days have been bloody crazy, and quite a bit centered around our Greenbean Tommy here," I continued, nodding my head at Tommy who blushed, looking down.

Aww. He was so adorable.

"He's not the Greenie anymore," Gally said, snickering, "he's just a rule breaker now."

A sudden rage filled my heart. Who the shuck was he to say who Tommy was and wasn't? I felt a low growl escaping through my mouth, and I choked it back. I took some deep breaths and calmed down a bit. "Gally," I said, my voice coming out steadier than I had thought. Good. "Trying to keep some buggin' order here. If you're gonna blabber your shuck mouth every time I say something, you can go ahead and bloody leave, because I'm not in a very cheerful mood."