6 - Questions and Answers

I woke up with a hand over my mouth.

It was warm and soft, a contrast from my cold skin cooled by the breezes of the night.

My first reaction, however, was to panic. I started trashing around, bringing my hand up to pull away the intruder's. Another hand caught mine; the other hand of the same person currently causing me to freak out. "Shhh, Tommy, I'm going to show you something, if you just quit bloody waking everyone up," a voice whisper-shouted. I froze immediately, quickly realising who it was.

As my eyes adjusted to the dim light of dawn, I was met with beautiful dark brown irises and golden hair tousled from his sleep. Realising it was Newt didn't help me relax at all emotionally, though physically I lied back down. After getting over my initial shock, I could now feel the entirety of the situation, the vulnerable position I was at. And the things he could do to me. 

Damn.

Blinking, I focused back on Newt, hoping he didn't see my blush. Luckily for me, his head was turned and he was looking at a group of people huddled at the edge of one of the huge stone doors now open, revealing a dark interior. I, being the muddled dreamer I was, took this time to study his to-kill-for jawline. And extremely inviting lips. In my peripheral vision, I noticed the group of boys straighten their backpacks and run headfirst into wherever the wall-openings led.

I snapped back into the reality when Newt pulled me up, muscles bulging on his somewhat thin but strong arms, with strength I didn't know he had. I opened my mouth to ask a question, but as if expecting me to do something like that, he put a finger on my lips, silencing me. My heart lurched as his finger touched my lips and I had to force myself to stay still.

Slowly, he led me through the Gladers, still asleep. The Glade was quiet in the morning, missing its usual buzz and chatter. The only sounds were our footsteps and soft snoring escaping from the open mouths of my sleeping companions. I liked the silence; it gave me a sense of calmness.

Meanwhile, Newt coninued to drag me forward towards the forested patch the Gladers called the Deadheads. His warm fingers were still wrapped around my forearm as he pulled me along. That alone took up half my concentration, and my other half was used solely on avoiding stepping on random people's fingers. I did miss once, which, honestly, I was quite proud of, having avoided about 40 other arms and legs, but it resulted in me getting a sharp blow to my calf and a harsh stare from Newt.

To be truthful, that glare was rather adorable.

What the hell is wrong with me? I thought as I jogged after Newt towards the forest once we were on flat ground. I should be worrying about my survival, not about some guy I just met not even a day ago. He was just some guy that was nice to me, there were so many other guys here, why him? Besides, I was pretty sure he just thought of me as another clueless troublemaking Greenie, not even a friend.

I shook my head clear of my thoughts as we entered the first ring of trees, then the second, then the third, all the way until we reached the corner of the Glade where one stone wall met the other. He pulled open a vine curtain and revealed what was to be a pane of dirty glass.

"Watch," he told me, and I did. A few minutes after absolutely nothing had passed, I finally saw what I assumed he meant for me to see. Through the glass, I watched as metallic talons - claws - of some sort click against the stone floor. Well, I couldn't really hear anything, but I would expect them to click. The creature's body seemed to be either moist or polished smooth, for I saw bits of light reflecting off it onto the floor. Its legs seemed to bend - it was reaching down.

And I saw the most terrible thing I was positive I had ever seen. Ever. The monster looked like a mix between a giant slug and a killer robot spider - it had disgusting slimy skin with metal claws, blades, scissor-like arms and shards sticking out. I didn't know where its body ended and head began. And quite frankly, I didn't want to. Its body alone was terrifying enough, but combined with bright red eyes and a mouth full of sharp knife-like teeth, it was something out of a nightmare.

Maybe this was a nightmare.

Quickly, I covered the window with vines, and leaned against the stone wall, panting. Like every other creepy thing, once I saw it, I couldn't ever dream of unseeing it. I knew it would haunt my mind for the rest of eternity, and I hated it. I despised it. Loathed it. Absolutely hated it, and the person that showed it to me (if I could, that is. I don't think that was physically possible, for someone to hate Newt).

"Why, in the name of all things holy, would you show me that?!" I spat at Newt. His face was serious, something I hadn't expected. 

"You wanted to know more, didn't you, shank face? I could see it in those eyes of yours," he replied, "I didn't show anyone else this, because no one else would bloody want to know. But you're different; you're curious."

"Okay," I said, my voice wavering, still shaken up by that thing. Why did those things even exist? "What is it, then? And what's out there?"

"We call it a Griever. Get stung by one, you're bloody dead," he paused, making a sweeping motion around him. "The maze. Every day, runners will go out to try to search for something, anything, that'll get us out of here."

"Have they found anything yet?"

Newt sighed. "No, or we'll be bloody out by now."

I cringed, but I let the matter slide. I needed to know more. "What's a runner?"

"They go out into the maze every day, it's their job," Newt explained. Suddenly, his voice got serious. He pulled me towards him and his eyes searched my face. "Tommy, listen to me. Don't ever be a runner. Just - don't. Okay? Promise me."

I swallowed the words in my mouth. "But-" I tried to protest, but I was cut off by a pleading look from Newt. I sighed. "Okay," I muttered.

A look of relieve passed Newt's face as he released my hand. I rubbed my hand; his grip was kind of painful. He noticed this, and his expression immediately turned to an apologetic one.

"I'm sorry, it's just that it's dangerous out there, and I don't want you gettin' bloody hurt. I've lost so many people, and I don't want to lose you," he said, looking away. "I should know, I used to be one," he added after, in a small voice that just made me want to cuddle and comfort him.

"What happened?" I asked, before I could shut my mouth. A look of hurt passed through his eyes, and though it was quick, I still saw it. "Oh, um, I'm sorry," I quickly apologised, knowing that I had hit a nerve. 

A moment of silence passed between us. "No, it's fine, what's passed is passed. Anyways, we better get ready for the day. You're with Winston today," he said, the temporary faraway look clearing from his eyes. Standing up, he gave me a small smile and walked towards the already awakening Gladers, with me trailing after him.

As I walked through the Glade, I took a moment to gather my thoughts. The Griever, the Maze... All of them seemed abstract and impossible. But I did lose my memories, so I wasn't really in a position to question anything. As I recalled every moment of the small transaction between Newt and I, I catched on to a small phrase he had maybe unintentionally let out.

I don't want you gettin' bloody hurt.

I don't want to lose you.

It was kind of inappropriate, I knew, seeing that there were far worst things in the world (like death) that I should be worrying about, but I couldn't help but smile. He didn't want me to die. That must mean something, right?

I was probably seeing way too much into this, but maybe, just maybe, I could have a fraction of what I hoped for.

A/N: Ugh I'm feeling so sick like I probably have a cold and I don't even know why and I still have to go to school ugh ugh ugh at least I got to skip some extra stuff today so I had time to write this yay :D

Also yeah because of school I may update less and less (I don't even know why I'm so busy like whaaatttt school just started) but I can PROBABLY update tomorrow heh already have half the next chapter written

Enjoy, and please comment/vote (if you want to that is)! :D <3