24 - Problems Amongst Problems

Thomas POV

I looked around me when the roof fell. Being at the other side of the room, I was completely alone, cut off from the rest of the people.

Well, that's what I thought, at least.

A groan somewhere near me broke my train of thoughts (more like self pity and worry). Gingerly, I looked underneath the rubble, but frowned when I saw nothing.

"To-Tommy," the voice said, with much difficulty.

Newt?!

As if in response, a bit of plaster hit me on my back.

"Ow," I said, turning back, to see a mop of golden hair sticking out beneath a crushed table.

My heart did a somersault, complete with a flip and a three-quarter spin, when I saw Newt. Seeing him hurt sent a pang of pain through me.

But wait, he called me Tommy.

Does that mean we're going to be fine?

"Not if you're just going to be standing there," Newt said, annoyed, snapping me back to reality. He was, however, blushing a little. I think.

Did I just say that out loud?

"Oh, um," I replied, quickly rushing forward to help him out from his position. During which, I avoided all eye contact.

"Are- are you okay?" I asked when he stood up. Awkwardly, I put my arm around him to support him.

God, this was so wrong. Not in the innuendo sense, but plain weird and wrong.

"Yeah," he replied, then quietly muttered, "thanks."

"So..." I continued, watching out of the corner of my eye as he wiped away the blood on his face, "what do we do now?"

"Oh, I don't know, get out of this bloody place?" Newt replied. I looked at him in concern; he wasn't usually this grumpy. He must have sensed it because he said, "Sorry. Personal problems."

I winced. Personal problems. Caused by me.

"Jorge gave me a map," he continued, "in case he and Brenda had to go do something, and he didn't trust Minho."

"Fair enough," I replied. Newt took out a paper scroll from his bag that he always carried with him (I wonder what's in it, though the topic was never brought up). He smoothed it out, and I made a face at the food stains and tears in the paper. Obviously, cleanliness wasn't high on the Cranks' priority list.

I squinted and trailed my finger along the bolded black lines on the map. It had a path leading out, but we had to pass through a darkly shaded place called the 'Underneath'.

"Warning, cranks past the Gone here," Newt read the scribbles on the paper beneath where the Underneath was drawn.

"What's that?"

"I don't know, but it sounds bad. The cranks mentioned something about how they were much better than those past the Gone, so it must be really bad there," Newt commented.

After a few minutes, we set out. Along the way, we passed by a few cranks, but they ignored us. One tried to attack us, but Newt was able to knock him out with his machete before he could do any harm.

As our surroundings got colder and darker, the tension between Newt and I got more unbearable as well. The plaster on the walls peeled off, the lightbulbs broken, the floor covered with blood and grime, but I couldn't help it. I had to bring it up.

"Newt," I said, pausing, before realising that I had no idea what to say. "We've got to talk about this someday."

A look of pain flashed across his face.

"I don't think now-" he was abruptly cut off by a blood curdling scream. Followed by maniac laughter.

"Shit," I whispered, when I heard footsteps come our way. Newt tried to pull me into a bit of caved-in wall, but in my scramble I tripped. A loud thud rang through the corridor.

"Is that another nose?" A shrill voice travelled down the hallway, piercing my ears. Shortly afterwards, I saw figures behind us. All 10 of them. And as Newt shone his flashlight in their direction, I realised that they all had one thing in common.

They all had no noses. In its place, a bloody gash.

"Rose took my nose, I suppose.

And it really blows."

And so we ran.

Without direction or meaning, we ran as fast as we could. At one point, my hand grabbed Newt's, and that was what I focused on as we sped through the Underground. Heavy uneven footsteps followed us, but somehow they were able to keep up with us. Just as we were running out of breath, I spotted a door on our left. Abruptly, I turned, almost causing Newt to fall down. I quickly turned the door knob, opened the door, and pulled him in.

We sat on the ground to catch our breath for a second. I prayed that the cranks wouldn't be able to find us here, but the footsteps didn't cease.

"Where are youuuu? I want my nose!"

I winced at the voice.

Luckily, we managed to pry the cover off a vent in the room and climbed in, closing it behind us, me after Newt. The vent was dusty and slimy, but at least the cranks wouldn't be able to find us here. I hoped.

I heaved a huge sigh of relief, trying my best to be comfortable in the tiny vent. With our luck, the vent wasn't those long, winding ones that led somewhere, but literally a hole in the wall. It's tiny opening to the back was blocked by something soft. I didn't want to find out what.

As my eyes adjusted to the dark, I was suddenly aware of my surroundings. I was squashed against Newt, my back against his front. His legs were on either side of me, and he tried to lean forward, avoiding the squishy thing at the back. My heartbeat thumped in my ears. This position wasn't making me think straight. Straight. Hah, because I'm not.

I shook my head. What was I even thinking? There's a bunch of crazy zombie people trying to kill me and all I can think about is uncomfortable positions against Newt? Though every position would be comfortable. Because, you know...

Dammit, Thomas. Stop.

I heard the footsteps getting louder and louder, before the door of the room burst open. Through the slits in the cover of the vent, I saw the cranks enter the room.

"Where are you, nose? I smell youu!" He - she? - laughed, looking under various furniture before walking towards us.

No no no no no no...

His fingers tugged against the cover of the vent, and I unconsciously leaned back more against Newt, until my back was touching his chest. I felt his heartbeat quickening, just like my own.

I let out a breath I hadn't realised I had been holding in when the fingers disappeared and the crank walked out the door. The footsteps became softer and softer as he walked away from our hiding spot in search of his nose.

"Oh my shuck," Newt whispered, and I nodded.

"Let's get out of this shucking place."

A/N: First of all, HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY THOMAS!!! I wanted to post this yesterday because it's 17 May here where I'm at, but I was out the whole day because my cousin came over... But somewhere on Earth it's still 16th so yay!

Next week will be a shitty week for me because we're getting back our results for exams... :( but the TST trailer will come out so I'm looking forward to that *heart eyes emoji*

QOTC: What's one superpower you'd want to have?

AOTC: The ability to stop time and/or teleportation (yeah i know that's not one but hmph). So I can stop time, and teleport to like the tst set and fool around and then come back with no one knowing. Also to be creepy and go to Dylan's house but yaknow that's for another time ;)

Thank you all lovelies for reading! Please give this a vote if you liked it :) and comment your feedback! <3