- ', [nekoma] ꒱

Introduction

You slammed your fist against the dining room table in protest, "Mom, I am NOT going to go there!"

Your mom sighed and rubbed her temple, as if she had expected this reaction.

How could she do this to you? To be betrayed by your own mother? The woman who gave birth to you? Unbelievable.

"Y/n, please try to understand," She looked up at you, speaking in an even, calm tone, which only made you angrier, "You'll get an amazing education at Nekoma. And they have so many clubs!"

"Mom, I was fine and supportive when you told me about your new job. I was supportive of your decision to move us to Tokyo. But change schools? I've already been at Karasuno for nearly two years! I have friends there!"

"Y/n.." Your mom regained her collected manner, but you could hear the strain behind her words, "Be rational, how could you get to Karasuno every single morning? It's going to be too much of a drive."

"So? I'll get up early, I'll take the bus!"

She gave you a sympathetic look, but you felt as horrible as ever right now, "Look, I know it won't be easy, but you'll be alright. Besides, a certain somebody goes there too, remember?"

A cold wave of dread washed over you. Of course... you should have known there was a particular reason your mom chose Nekoma over all the other schools in that area.

It was because he went there. 

Tetsurou Kuroo.

The one guy you had a lot of... history with. 

The gist of it? Your parents had always been close, ever since you guys were just little kids, and so the two of you were expected to get along.

You did not.

But it wasn't as if you guys were too different, no. In fact, you guys had the same hobbies, liked the same things, shared the same passions.

And that's what caused the rivalry. 

There was always tension between you and Kuroo. Every time you saw him, the only thing on either of your minds was being better at something, anything really.

Who got the better grades, who'd dated more people, who was better at volleyball (that last one was definitely him, but you'd rather die than admit it). Stupid things like that. 

The rivalry only got worse when you guys ended up at different high schools.

Karasuno and Nekoma were (what a coincidence!) rival schools themselves, and with volleyball being the heart of both schools, the games between the two got very competitive.

Because you attended all the games anyways and became good friends with everyone on the Karasuno volleyball team, you were offered the position of co-manager as just a first year.

And now, you were halfway done with your second year, and you had seen your team through their great successes and failures. They had yet to beat Nekoma in a game thus far (which Kuroo never let you forget), but you were hopeful for this season because they had improved so much.

But now...

"What about volleyball?" You asked your mother, trying to conceal the anger in your voice, "How can I just leave my team after all the progress we've made together?"

You were really laying it thick with the guilt.

"I'm sorry, honey," She really did sound sorry, "But... Nekoma has a volleyball team too, and-"

"It's not the same..." You felt your eyes stinging with tears as you got up from the table, "I'm going to my room."

She nodded as if she understood. In any other situation, she would have scolded you for being disrespectful, but even she understood the weight of what you'd just been told.

You stormed off, not wanting to talk any further.

Shutting the room door behind you, you plopped down on your bed, taking a deep breath as you tried to collect your thoughts.

You let out a sigh. This wasn't fair. You didn't want to go to Nekoma. You wanted to be at Karasuno.

After some of the frustration had worn off, you took out your phone, conflicted about who to confide in. You didn't want to tell your Karasuno friends just yet... this was an in-person sort of conversation.

And so, you surprised yourself by opening up your texts with Kuroo.

The entire chat felt superficial, mindless taunts after volleyball losses or bare-minimum questions if their parents planned to meet up on certain days.

Had you ever even had a real conversation with this bitch? You doubted it. You probably wouldn't even have each other's numbers if your parents hadn't forced you to exchange them.

An odd temptation washed over you as you brought the phone closer to you, typing out a text to send to Kuroo.

y/n:

hey.. apparently i'm moving

as in moving schools... to nekoma

Right before clicking send... you hesitated. Was it just you or was the text way too friendly?

You quickly altered it, just a bit.

y/n:

i'm coming to nekoma

hope ur ready to be second best at everything

There... that was better. Before you could change your mind, you hit send.

Mere seconds later, Kuroo's response popped up on your screen. Holding your breath, you read his short text.

kuroo:

it's on.

- - - - -

Author's Note

hey baes, thanks for reading n hoped you liked the first chapter. just a side note, because this was the intro, i wrote in second-person but the rest of the story will be told in first person.

ty once again, hope you guys enjoy the whole story <3