48| Awakened

This chapter is dedicated to SeleneUchiha16

I cannot thank you enough for all your support on this book. Hope you continue to enjoy.

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

It was already morning, but as the early rays of sunlight crept through the windows of the infirmary, Legolas felt no relief from the fear and uncertainty that gripped his heart.

Her desperate cries of anguish still echoed in his mind as he sat by her bed. Now, it was dead silent. Her skin was cold to the touch, pallid in contrast to her black hair as she lay motionless, lifeless on the bed.

Daeriel had been unconscious for many hours now.

And he had been by her side for every second, waiting. Hoping. Praying for any signs that she would be okay.

There was a soft knock, and Legolas turned to see Aragorn gently push open the door.

"How is she?"

The elf shook his head, turning back to Daeriel, his eyes scanning for even the slightest bit of movement.

"Nothing."

Aragorn sighed as he approached the side of the bed, placing a hand softly against Daeriel's forehead.

"Echuio, gwathel (wake up, sister)." He murmured. "Echuio."

"What if she doesn't?" Legolas asked, his voice low. Those haunting thoughts had taunted him for hours, and every time he considered the possibility was like a sharp stab to the heart.

Aragorn shot a glance up at the elf.

"We cannot think like that. We must maintain hope that Daeriel will make it through this..."

Legolas noticed the slight tremble in the man's voice.

"...that is all that we can do for her now."

As their gazes shifted back to Daeriel, an uncertain silence fell over the two of them.

A silence that was soon broken by a soft inhale.

Legolas immediately perked up, sharing a wide-eyed glance with Aragorn.

Before them, Daeriel stirred slightly, sending a jolt of hope shooting through his veins. Was she awakening? Was she okay?

A million thoughts shot through his mind as he took her hands in his. Never in his millenia of life had he ever experienced such anticipation and apprehension all at the same time.

His eyes remained transfixed on her closed eyelids, anxiously waiting for them to open.

And they did.

Her long black eyelashes brushed against her cheeks as her eyes fluttered open, revealing the green orbs that he had so desperately wanted to see.

"Daeriel..." He breathed, his voice falling to a whisper. "You're okay."

"Legolas?" Her voice was so soft as she reached out a fragile hand.

"I'm here." Legolas smiled as he let Daeriel's hand brush against his cheek

Daeriel's eyes landed on Aragorn, who stood beside her bed.

"Aragorn...it is good to see you."

The man smiled sincerely. "Likewise."