18| forsaken

Aldion flew over the plains faster than the cold winds of the north, each stride taking us that much closer to Merry and Pippin. Or so I hoped.

My fingers were entwined in Aldion's black fur as I rode, the air playing wildly with my hair. One would think that it was impossible to ride such a beast without a saddle, but Aldion never let me fall, his strides smooth and swift.

In battle, he always protected me, and I, him. We looked out for each other ever since we met, and it was almost invigorating to be with him once again.

Every now and then, he would stop, raising his head into the wind, searching for the hobbits' scent, before setting off again. We were closing in, and each time we would stop for a shorter time.

Soon, we didn't stop at all, the world a constant blur of green and blue around us as we flew by.

The sun shone from above as Aldion slowed to a halt, overlooking the vast expanse of green before us. I inhaled deeply. Grey rocks jutted out of the grass like jewels from a mine, as the plains stretched as far as the eye could see, rising and falling until it united with the blue of the sky.

As I peered into the distance, my eyes caught onto a large group of distinct shapes travelling at a fast speed. The trembling rhythm of the earth let me know that they were horse riders.

Realisation hit me.

We were in Rohan, Home of the Horse Lords.

I did not interact much with the world of men, but I had learnt about the various kingdoms in my studies. These men were not of malicious intentions. They were not creatures of the enemy. I hoped.

Standing my ground, I watched as the men drew closer by the second, shouts of alarm followed by the thunderous rumble of hoofbeats against the ground as they rode towards me. Aldion huffed impatiently.

I did not move as the riders began to encircle us like wolves would their prey. But I wasn't worried.

The circle grew tighter and tighter until all I could see were the steel tips of their spears pointed at me from every direction. Aldion growled, and a couple of horses stomped nervously. I placed a calming hand on his neck before raising my hands in surrender, showing that I meant no harm.

The crowd of riders parted way, and a singular rider emerged upon his steed, spear in his hand. He must have been their captain.

"What's this?" he asked as he regarded me with scorn, "What business does an elf maiden have in the Riddermark?" the man questioned, pointing his spear at me, "Speak, before you never have the chance to do so again."

I glanced at the sharp tip of the spear a mere few inches away from my face. I sighed, my hands still raised.

"My name is Daeriel, and I come from Rivendell." My voice was steady.

"I set out with nine other companions on a quest to destroy the dark lord. Two were lost..." I paused slightly before I continued, "...and two diverged, but another two were taken by servants of evil. I am here to retrieve them."

"Why should we trust you?" the man questioned, narrowing his eyes

I pursed my lips. This was a waste of time.

"Do I look like one of the dark side's servants to you?"

"Spies come in all shapes and sizes," the man shot back, "even a maiden such as yourself."

I held back the urge to roll my eyes.

"Kill me then," my eyes met the man's in a defiant stare, "but know that in doing so, the blood of two young hobbits will be on your hands. I am not your enemy."