24| drowning

I am so sorry but I was overrun with tests and assignments. Hope you enjoyed this. The next few chapters will be interesting, I promise. 

This chapter is dedicated to Gh0sttCatt!

Thanks so much for reading and your endless support. If you would like your own dedicated chapter, go and vote right now on every existing chapter of this book.

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

The king turned to Gandalf, and there was silence as Théoden stood in thought. Even Gimli had stopped eating. We had given him all the information and advice, but the decision still ultimately lay in his hands.

He shook his head, before walking back to the front of the hall. His expression was grim.

"We will go to Helm's Deep." He announced firmly. "There, my people will find shelter and security."

Aragorn and I shared a look, and we watched as a flash of disappointment crossed Gandalf's expression. Théoden gauged the silence and our reactions, before sighing, calling for his guard.

"Inform the people, Háma."

The guard nodded before walking out the hall, his footsteps echoing across the hall.

Théoden turned back to us.

"I would suggest you go prepare yourself. It is a two-day journey ahead of you."

He looked around the room one more time before leaving. The rest of us shared a look.

As we followed Gandalf into the stables, men were saddling horses, preparing for the perilous journey ahead. There was an air of urgency, and everyone seemed on edge, as if walking along the blade of a knife.

"Helm's Deep!" Gimli exclaimed incredulously as we walked, throwing his hands up in the air in frustration. "They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?"

"He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people." Aragorn replied calmly. "Helm's Deep has saved them in the past."

I walked silently beside them, listening, thoughts running through my mind at a million miles an hour.

"There is no way out of that ravine, is there?" I asked.

"No, there isn't." Gandalf confirmed as we entered the stables. "Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to safety, but what he'll get is a massacre."

The wizard turned to face us, his expression grave. "Théoden has a strong hold but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan."

I chewed on my bottom lip before shaking my head.

"Saruman knows this will not be an easy fight. He knows that there is still strength to be found in men." My fingernails tapped against the hilt of my sword. "So he will attack with all the strength he has to offer. It will be a bloodbath."

From behind me, Gimli shifted from foot to foot, and a cool breeze blew into the stables, sending hay scattering across the floor. Gandalf's voice was low.

"That is why Théoden will need you before the end. All of you. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold."

My brother nodded.

"They will hold."

Gandalf turned to his magnificent steed, stroking Shadowfax's fur.

"The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, I have no time."