53| Numb

This chapter is dedicated 100% to liamdunbarslut. Firstly, i love your username, your pfp, and everything else :) 

Secondly, thank you for all your votes and comments. Reading them makes my entire day, and I honestly don't know where I would be without people like you supporting me and my writing process. So this chapter's for you <3

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

One would think that I would have grown numb by now.

Numb to the biting cold of the never-ending winter. Numb to watching the snow stain red with the blood of my friends and family. Numb to the pain of my own blade piercing into my flesh.

After all, I had relived it over and over and over again. In fact, it had been months since I had seen anything else.

But no.

Every time I fell into this icy world, the freezing winds were a thousand needles in my skin. Every time I watched the sword of my own reflection drive through someone that I cared about, it felt as if my own heart had been wrenched out of my chest.

As I watched them die in my arms, no matter how many times I had seen it before, the excruciating sense of anguish and hopelessness never eased.

One would think that I would have found a way to stop this. But no matter what I tried, I could not save them from their fate. Part of me still held onto the belief that this was a nightmare; something I could mould and shape if I had enough willpower. If I had enough control. But things slowly began to feel more real. More uncontrollable.

More inescapable.

Every time my shadow hunted me down, I could feel the tip of the arrow as it tore through my flesh, the sharp edge of the sword as it cut into my body. I could feel the light draining from my vision, my lungs burning as her hands wrapped around my throat.

That was until I reawoke in my bedroom, wearing the same white dress, cursed to redo it all over again.

The thought plagued my mind constantly: how can this be a nightmare if it does not leave my presence when I awake?

Wrenched to the present by a clattering sound behind me, I stumbled through the halls of my palace as I tried to find a way to escape. The walls around me seemed to warp and distort as they stretched upwards, towards a ceiling of indeterminable height.

At this point, I felt like I had tried every door and exhausted every option. No matter what I tried, I always seemed to end up back in that icy forest.

As my hasty footsteps echoed through the dark corridor, I could feel the presence of something else behind me catching up. I spared a glance back, my heart leaping to my throat at the sight of the dead woman. She was yet another element of this reality that I could not escape.

I broke into a run, the countless doors passing by me in a blur as my heart pounded relentlessly against my chest.

Pushing open a door I had not tried, I found myself stumbling back into a winter landscape, the cold air instantly hitting my skin like a slap on the face. Frantically, I turned back, only to find that the door had vanished.

I was once again trapped in this monotonous world of white snow and dark trees.

I couldn't hold it in anymore. Turning my face towards the grey of the sky, I let out a cry of frustration, screaming until my throat grew raw.

Every time I found myself here, I always thought, maybe this time it'll be different. Maybe this time I can stop her.

Maybe this time, I'll get out.