35| embrace

We arrived at the entrance to the Glittering Caves, barred by a heavy wooden gate. I pounded against the wood with my knuckles.

"Éowyn! It's Daeriel!" I called.

Peoples' frantic voices erupted from behind, before I heard the sound of the heavy wooden bolt sliding across the door. With a creak, the large gate was pushed open. From behind emerged Éowyn, who beckoned us inside, before bolting the door shut behind us.

As the guards and I entered the room, we were immediately met with a flurry of frantic questions from the women.

"Please, what's going on?"

"Is my son alright?"

"Where is my husband?"

"Are we all going to die?"

All around us, panic was arising. These women were trapped, unable to do anything but listen to the Uruk's relentless onslaught against their men. They were left to the horrors of their imagination as the Uruks ruthlessly slaughtered their loved ones above.

As the guards tried to calm the crowd, Éowyn pulled me aside.

"How is it?" She asked, her blue eyes filled with uncertainty, eyeing the blood that stained my clothes and hands. "How is my uncle?"

I sighed.

"Your uncle is fine." I paused, contemplating my next words. "I'm afraid I can't say the same for many others."

The golden haired maiden looked down, closing her eyes, and I gently rubbed her shoulders. However, as much as I wanted to offer her consolation, time was running out.

I turned to the rest of the people.

"We need to get you all out of here." I announced. "Théoden is assembling his men for a final stand to charge out of the Keep. That leaves everyone here vulnerable. We can't stay here."

"Where do we go? We're trapped." A woman cried out.

Gamling stepped forwards. His voice was stern. "There is a mountain path out. Take only what you need, we leave immediately."

Immediately, the cave erupted into chaos as women frantically collected their children and their most important belongings.

People continued to bombard me with questions, and I did my best to answer them without causing more panic. Gamling continued to urge them on. Suddenly, a question caught my attention.

"Please, do you know anything about my son Léod?"

My eyes fell on the source of the question; a lone woman with the same honey-blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes as the boy that I had spoken to earlier.

"You're his mother?" I asked.

She nodded, her eyes brimming with worry, on the verge of tears.

"Do you know if-" her voice quivered, "-if he's alright?"

She grabbed my hands, her eyes tearful.

" My lady, please, he's all I have left."

My heart reached out for the lone woman's plight. She was forced to watch as her only remaining child was sent off to an uncertain fate. One he may not return from.

"I..."

I considered lying to her, but ultimately decided against it.

"...I don't know. I'm sorry. The important thing right now is that we get you to safety."