42| Separated

This chapter is dedicated to Commitdeathfools

Thank you for your votes, comments and your follow :) it's really great to hear and receive feedback from you guys, and i love interacting with you <3 thank you for all your support!

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

It wasn't too long before our conversation was interrupted as Théoden entered the hall, followed by Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli and the two hobbits trailing behind.

"What is this all about, Gandalf?" Théoden questioned as he fastened a belt around his waist.

Legolas and I joined the rest of them as they gathered around the fireplace. I stood with my arms crossed as I listened.

"This young hobbit here..." Gandalf gestured to Pippin, who just looked down. "...took the palantir that we retrieved from Isengard and made the bold decision to stare into its depths. None other than Sauron himself responded."

Théoden swivelled to face Gandalf in shock, his posture instantly becoming rigid. "What?"

His brows furrowed together. "Tell me exactly what happened."

"It seems that he was seeking information." Gandalf replied grimly. "He questioned Peregrin, and hurt him when he would not respond."

The king's frown intensified, the creases on his forehead deepening with Gandalf's every word.

"Did the hobbit tell him anything?"

"No," Gandalf replied, "he told him nothing."

Théoden's expression shifted into one of disbelief.

"How can you be so sure?"

Gandalf clasped his hands together behind as he paced slowly.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool, but an honest fool he remains."

I stole a quick glance at the hobbit, who was sitting down beside Merry, a sheepish expression on his face. At least he looked like he was in a better state than he was last night.

Gandalf scanned the room carefully before continuing to speak. "He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring."

Gimli, Legolas, Théoden and I all shared a collective sigh of relief. The one weapon we had against Sauron was still safe. For now.

"We've been strangely fortunate," Gandalf said, to which Théoden raised an eyebrow in curiosity. "Pippin saw in the palantir a glimpse of the enemy's plan."

Gandalf stopped pacing, turning back to face us.

"Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing: he knows the heir of Elendil has come forth."

The hall was quiet as we let his words sink in. Though Aragorn seemed more composed than last night, I still caught a slight tense in his facial muscles, his hand unwittingly stroking the stubble at his chin, a nervous habit that I had picked up after decades of knowing him. I hoped that he was able to take some time for himself to reflect. I couldn't imagine the sheer amount of pressure that he was under.

However, I made a mental note to check in with him again later as Gandalf continued to speak.

"Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still. Strength enough, perhaps, to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner."