26| innocent

This chapter is dedicated to undomiel4306!! Thank you so much for your votes and comments, they really make my day :)

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

As we drew nearer to Rohan's fortress, the earth beneath our feet began to rise and fall, the undulating landscape before us stretching in dramatic hills as far as the eye could see. The riders were scattered amongst the Rohirrim, and the murmurs of conversation travelled across the mass of people. Everything was as usual.

So why was there a nagging feeling in my mind?

Like a voice, that would not stop. Nothing more than a whisper from the deepest corners of my mind, but persistent nonetheless with strings of incoherent words.

Pursing my lips, I urged Aldion back towards the centre of the group where the king rode.

It wasn't just a figment of my imagination. Nowadays, they rarely ever were.

"My lord, something is not right," I declared as I pulled up beside Théoden. His brows immediately furrowed with concern.

"What? How?" the king asked.

"Something lies ahead, and we are walking directly into it," I gravely replied. "There is a strange malice hanging in the air. I fear that when the signs are clear, it may be too late."

The king looked unsure, but my eyes met Aragorn's and he nodded knowingly.

"Her intuitions are rarely wrong, my lord," he informed the king, his eyes glancing down at where Amarya sat.

The king nodded grimly. "Very well. Háma, Gamling, go forth and investigate."

"I will go as well," I volunteered, urging Aldion to follow behind the two guards as we made our way to the front of the column.

"Daeriel!" Legolas called as he caught up beside me. "Prestad? " (is there trouble?)

I nodded, glancing around at all the civilians as they walked, the atmosphere relatively relaxed. I did not want to cause a panic.

"Nácë, hîr vuin." (it seems so, my lord.)

"Man te?" (what is it?) He asked, his eyes narrowed as he observed the endless expanse of rolling hills before us.

"Ú-iston." (I do not know.) My voice was low. "Delu i ven hen. Boe ammen savo chûr (This road is dangerous. We must be ready."

I glanced at the two horse riders galloping ahead.

"Tolo ar nin." (come on). I offered my hand to him. Nodding, he gripped my hand, quickly pulling himself up onto Aldion's back behind me.

Together, we followed behind the riders.

We arrived at the front of the column. Ahead of us was a hill, and as to what lay behind it, I did not know. To our left was a jagged and sheer rock face, and Legolas and I stood on the hill overlooking the two riders as Háma and Gamling slowed to a walk at the foot of it.

The elf prince dismounted, his eyes scanning the surroundings. However, given the incredibly rugged terrain, it was difficult to see behind hills and rock structures.

All of a sudden, Háma's horse stopped in its tracks, tossing its head back restlessly, squealing and snorting as it shied backwards.

Gamling pulled up next to him.

"Háma? What is it?"

"I'm not sure," Háma replied, "it may just be a change in the wind."

I narrowed my eyes, and beneath me, Aldion's body trembled with a growl. The tension in the air was so thick that an arrow could penetrate it.