71| Far from over

as promised, here's the next chapter, which is dedicated to the lovely JNKLOVEBOT! thank you for your ongoing support, hopefully you enjoy this chapter for you! <3

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

As the ground passed beneath my feet, I could feel the very beat of my heart ripple from my ribcage as I flew through the air, thudding in my eardrums as all else fell into silence. My gaze never left my target.

Impact. My hands wrapped around the spear. The rest of my body was flung back as the beast continued to charge. I grit my teeth, tightening my grip around the wooden shaft of the spear. Every footfall, every one of its movements threatened to throw me off to be trampled below.

I knew I could not just dangle there aimlessly.

Holding on as the oliphaunt continued to thunder across the plains, I felt my core muscles tense as I swung myself up alongside the momentum of the beast's footfalls. Reaching out a hand, my fingers brushed against a spear wedged higher up. But it was just out of reach.

I grit my teeth. Just a bit further. Below me, I could hear the cries of people being crushed and splattered against the ground.

Mustering any strength left in my tired, aching muscles, I swung again. This time, I felt my fingers wrap around the spear. All of a sudden, the creature seemed to change direction, and I tightened my grip, feeling myself dangerously close to falling off. But I had to keep going, I told myself, feeling beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

My biceps burnt as I continued to leap and swing from spear to spear, until finally, I was near the head, where I could hear the malicious laughter from whoever was controlling the oliphaunt. I set my jaw.

Grabbing the rope, I deftly climbed up, ignoring the burn of the coarse fibre rubbing against my palms. With one final burst of movement, I pulled myself up onto the top of the head in one swift motion. Before the man could even react, I drew my dagger. Within a flash, I had slashed the blade across his throat. Blood spurted from the wound as I threw his body off the mumakil, watching it fall amongst the wreckage of the battlefield. The thud was cathartic.

The beast below me let out a deafening trumpet, and I felt its pace quicken.

Immediately, some of the Haradrim in the towers let out a shout of alarm, catching my attention. Producing my sword, I set my jaw as I watched them advance towards me carefully across the oliphaunt's back, swords raised above their heads, yellowed teeth bared. Carefully, I adjusted my footing as the creature's head swung its tusk with another bellowing growl, careful not to lose the precarious sense of balance still keeping me atop the beast.

Strike by strike, I deflected the swings of the enemy, whilst at the same time trying to to balance atop the head of the frenzied beast, dispatching the men one by one. One man charged, only for a sweep of the legs to send him tumbling off the side. I didn't even hear his body hit the ground before another one attacked.

I managed to disarm one man, his blade falling off the side. But before I could even take a breath, a fist swung my way. A hot throbbing pain erupted from my jaw, followed by a sharp biting pain on my lip. I stumbled backwards, almost losing my footing. A metallic taste flooded my mouth.

As I wiped the red liquid from my nose, I noticed a bow and arrow being drawn in my peripheral vision. At the same time, the oliphaunt swung its tusks. Quickly, I braced myself. The man stumbled. And that was all I needed. Taking advantage of his loss of balance, I sprung forward, a cry of anger leaving my lips. In a split second, I wrapped an arm around his neck, before wrenching him back around to face the tower.