40| Scarred

This chapter is dedicated to Lotrpjohpkotlcmrfan

It makes me so happy to interact and engage with you, and to know that you're enjoying my book. Thanks for your votes, your countless comments and your endless support. <3

────── ༻♛༺ ──────

I woke up to a loud rumble, almost like thunder. Except it wasn't raining.

Confused, I clambered out of bed, looking out the window as I tried to see what made the noise.

Other than the sound I heard, everything seemed normal. Maladros was quiet at night, with only the soft twinkling of the distant waterfall ringing into the evening.

Still, I was slightly unsettled. Wrapping my robe around my body, I slowly made my way to my father's chambers, only to find them empty. He must have been in his office late again.

I frowned, stepping outside, seeing many other confused people who exited their homes, gazing at the quiet night sky in bewilderment.

Maladros was usually incredibly peaceful at night, with nothing but the encircling mountains and natural landscape around us for miles on end.

All was peaceful.

An ear-piercing screech rang through the air.

That's when we realised something was wrong. Horribly wrong.

Looking up, I saw a dark shape swoop from the sky with a screech that sent pangs of fear into my heart as I clutched my ears. Screams of terror rang throughout the village as chaos erupted.

What was going on, I thought as I frantically rushed to find my father, distant growls and thuds growing louder and louder.

How did they find us?

How was the Nazgûl able to break through the borders?

I dashed to the room where the palantir was kept. Throwing open the large wooden doors, I felt my heart drop at the sight before me.

There, on the floor beside the stone pedestal, lay the broken pieces of the palantir of Maladros. It had been shattered. The warm golden glow that it once exuded was now gone, along with the last barrier that we had against evil.

That must be what caused the loud rumble.

And now, we were left completely, utterly defenseless.

I picked up a piece of the palantir, before running out of the room, desperately searching for my father.

In the midst of the chaos and panic, I spotted him frantically rallying the soldiers of Maladros.

"Ada (father)!" I called as I ran over.

"Glaurielle, thank the Valar you're okay!"

He knelt down before me, engulfing me in a warm embrace.

"The palantir...it's been shattered" I cried, as I gave him the broken piece. "How did they find us?"

My father exchanged a few glances with his generals, before taking the piece from me.

"I don't know." Arveldir replied. He placed a hand on my cheek.

"But I need you to do something for me, okay?"

I nodded, tears welling in my eyes. Arveldir smiled, but there was fear behind it.