Chapter 13: This Is Where I Leave You

"If you're wondering if I still love you after so much time has passed

Since you asked

I don't really want you back

I just want the life we had

I don't really want you back

No, I don't

No, I don't really want you close

I just needed you to know

That I don't really want you back

No, I don't"

~"I Don't Want You Back" AJ Mitchell

I smiled widely as I laughed out loud when Leo spun me around in a circle with our hands firmly locked together. He was shouting out in glee as I squinted my eyes shut, us relieved when the dance was finally over, since we had finally completed the scene. We had been learning how to dance for weeks and our muscles were super sore. On the plus side, we both were in better shape, and my bruises had finally healed. After that it just seemed that everything went fairly well, and I was actually disappointed when we wrapped up on our final day of filming. Leo and I were still planning on living together in Los Angeles though. It was a bit hard for me to leave his hotel room, since it had kind of become our first home together, but he promised he would bring me back one day. We were able to get me settled in one day at his mansion, and things continued to run smoothly, until one morning. The phone was ringing downstairs as I prepared oatmeal with strawberries for an early breakfast. I answered it before it could disturb Leo, still feeling pretty tired as I drifted to the balcony off the kitchen, since I was on the middle floor.

"Hello," I groggily asked, sitting in the chair outdoors.

"Marlene?"

My breath caught in my throat as I froze, eventually forcing myself to react. "Jason?"

"Hey, I didn't know if you might want to talk to an old friend."

"You're not that old," I faintly smiled.

"How are you and Leo?" He seemed a bit hesitant to ask.

"Great. Are you seeing anyone?" I also was displaying traces of uncertainty.

"Yeah, this great girl, Amanda Anka. She was in the movie, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I bet you'd like her if you met her. She's real great."

"Yeah, I'm sure I would." I didn't know hearing him being with someone else would cause me pain. I messed with the Mickey Mouse ring on my finger as I felt horrible inside. "So, how long have you been with her?"

"I met her shortly after you and Leo got together. I was feeling pretty lousy and I met her at one of the bars around here."

"You still living in the same apartment?"

"Yeah, Amanda's got some really great ideas for decorating it. She painted the bedroom mint green and it does make it a lot lighter in there. The color before was-"

"I know. It was dark beige. I helped you pick it out, remember?" I didn't mean to snap as I felt jealous, puzzled by these emotions.

"Right. And you know where we used to keep that shelf behind our bed? She replaced it with a mirror, and I gotta tell you, it really spices things up-"

"Did you call me to be an ass? Or are you just trying to make me jealous?!"

"I'm sorry, that came out wrong. I didn't mean-"